Skip to main content

4 Far Out Sci Fi and Fantasy Finds

I apologise for the delay in posting. My car had been in the garage/shop for a full two weeks and I just got it back Friday. I was going back and forth to the shop to find out what was wrong and then I had to wait around for the tow truck to have it towed to a different garage. So that pushed me back in many of my projects including my short stories I’m working on for The Hidden and the cover illustration I’m making for it. Oh, yeah and after all that fuss I was told nothing was wrong with my car to begin with! Maybe it’s playing tricks on me because it’s jealous and doesn’t want me to succeed in my writing career and so has a mind of its own like Christine or that ‘70s horror flick The Car. Then Saturday I was at a holiday charity drive held at Empire ComicsVault in Sacramento. They were collecting for Toys for Tots and artists were there doing work on commission for a children’s home. So I haven’t really had time to get together a topic for an article this weekend and so decided to give you a list of some Far Out Fantastic Finds in sci fi and fantasy news.


This is an interview with the above mentioned author who talks about his novel which I wouldn’t mind checking out. I just don’t know if I dig the “novel-writing apps” he says he used to write his story. But he doesn’t say exactly how he used them, so how can we really know?


Very few female authors in the 1950s were known for writing science fiction, but here’s one who wrote some good ones and then, later in the late ‘70s, contributed to the script for Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back! Speaking of which, the next find is . . .


“Thing” number six gives a little detail of an early draft that Brackett wrote. So there’s two little-known Star Wars facts you can take with you when you see Episode 7: The Force Awakens which opens Thursday! But now here’s another one, one that really struck me: “Thing” number nine: “Stanley Kubrick nearly killed the set.” Kubrick happened to be making The Shining, a favourite of yours truly, in the same studio space as Lucas’s Empire. No wonder why the setting for the former resembled the planet Hoth so much!

A space squadron fighter fires its laser cannon in battle.
Photo Credit: Patrice Audet/Pixabay.com


This is probably the most far out fantastic of the finds! You may have heard about the new annual science fiction/fantasy anthology that came out not too long ago: The Best American Science Fiction and Fantasy. Inspired by the long-time running annual The Best American Short Stories, it’s an example of how science fiction and fantasy have become not only more mainstream but also more accepted as literature rather than simply escapist entertainment. This article talks about that major turning point in the genre and the people behind the anthology, including horror author Joe Hill who acted as guest editor. This would make a great holiday gift for science fiction/fantasy readers.


That’s it for now. Until next time . . . 


Comments

  1. Maybe science fiction books won't be considered so fringe now. Ironic the written word has that reputation when in the movie industry, most of the top twenty highest grossing movies in the world are science fiction.
    Hope your car behaves itself.
    Have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for responding, Alex.

    Yes that is ironic about science fiction's reputation in literature when some of the highest grossing films fall within that genre. Maybe the factor is a difference in mediums, especially here in the U.S. since society here is so much more visually oriented as far as moving pictures go than word oriented. But hopefully that will change some with turning points such as the above mentioned anthology. Not to downgrade movies, because I'm a big viewer of movies myself and film is a super medium, but more people should see the benefits of reading.

    So far, my car's been doing okay. Thanks for showing concern. : )

    I hope you've been having a great Christmas yourself and that you'll have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least better, fi