Skip to main content

Self-publishing Technology, Steampunk & Atom Punk

A performer at the first Sacramento Steampunk Emporium
Photo Credit: Steven Rose, Jr.



It's been a very busy month and so I apologise for the two or three week hold on my posts. Part of this has been due to a change of plans for The Fool's Illusion. I've been kind of working on the publishing part through a self-publishing organisation that I'm a member of. Part of the project in this group was to make a sample/excerpt of books that each of us are planning to publish. So I'm in the process of puting together my sample booklet of Fool's Illusion. I would like to give you  free e-copies of it once I put it together and show it to my self-publishing group. The problem is that I am not a digital graphic designer. That is not my primary line of work. I've taken some graphic design courses, including some that emphasises graphic design software such as Adobe and QuarkXpress. But I am not tech saavy when it comes to graphic design as I am saavy with freehand art and design.

Don't get me wrong. By all means I love computer technology and that includes graphic design software. But I'm a relatively recent convert to the "Techno Geek Not-so-orthodox Church". (And I mean "Not-so-orthodox" in a good sense, as in innovation.) It takes me a while to learn and apply the software in book design. I'm still learning how to get several files of the excerpt booklet under one file. That said, I only have Adobe Reader which is not primarily made so much to format documents as it is to open and read them. That's why it's called Adobe Reader. I've got desktop publishing software but I'm still learning how to use it, not to mention that it's somewhat outdated and I'm not in a position to purchase an updated version at this time. (I use PrintShop Pro Publisher.) So I've been spending hours, it seems, trying to figure out how to use the two software packages. So I ask that you bear with me. I will get the book out there; I never start anything big that I'm passionate about that I don't finish.

I attended one of the first steampunk cons today here in Sacramento. I'm not a steampunker myself, though I've taken up the role from time to time for the clubs that I am theoretically a member of. I'm actually more atom punk. For those of you not familiar with steampunk, it's a subgenre of science fiction that was in many ways inspired by cyberpunk, but instead of digital technology dominated future societies it has more to do with Victorian/Industrial Age futures and alternative histories. For a better idea of what steampunk is, you can read about it in my most recent article at Examiner.com. The article was made to announce Sacramento's first Steampunk Emporium which I attended today. Unfortunately, it was only a one day con, but it had a great turnout. There were over 40 venders, including artists selling and displaying their work, and the vast commercial space the con was held in was nearly packed wall to wall. I wouldn't be surprised that if they have it again next year that they'll extend it to at least a two day event. So the announcement of the con in my article is yesterday's news, but I explain in more detail what steampunk is, so feel free to take a look at it.

As I mentioned, I'm more atom punk than I am steampunk. Now what is atom punk? To put it in a nut shell (uh, or should I say "atom bomb shell"?) it's a subgenre of science fiction inspired by steampunk, but instead of Industrial Age themes it uses mid 20th century/Cold War era themes. But like steampunk it depicts retro-futures and therefore futures that derive more directly from a past era and through alternative histories based on that era. For a really good idea about this subgenre I strongly suggest reading author Philip Reeve's post at his blog.

I'll leave you with that for now.

Until next time . . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least better, fi