Skip to main content

Science fiction Art for 'The Assassin'

I didn’t finish the science fiction art for “The Assassin in time for when I posted the story early last month. If you haven’t read it yet, you should check it out. It’s still up and, of course, it’s free! I’m just now posting the illustration here this evening. I’m not replacing it for the clip art (which is not mine) I provided the story with because it isn’t really complete to serve as an illustration. In other words, I screwed up on it. And here's how:






Pen and ink drawing of an atom punk laser gun

This pen and ink drawing for “The Assassin” is supposed to be of a laser gun in semi atom age/space age, 1950s style. This style is what we now call atom punk for newer work based on the sci fi of that period (roughly the 1950s through mid ‘60s, but it’s often debatable). Most of this subgenre of science fiction is based on the idea of an alternative history (also referred to as "alternative timeline") which my story involves. To learn more about this far out subgenre, check out author Philip Reeve’s article

The problem I had with this drawing was the butt of the laser rifle. The butt is supposed to be elongated in order to support the person’s arm that’s holding it. I posed the rifle at a kind of diagonal angle as you can see (and if you can’t see, then I must’ve really screwed up with this picture, eh?). And of course, at such an angle you would not be able to see the full butt and so it should appear smaller than if the gun was shown from a side view. Somehow, the butt came out to look more like the smaller, more knob-like handle of a 17th or 18th century pistol! Talk about an alternative history story! That would be a real time clash wouldn’t it?

I made the oval object at the top of the gun for the target monitor which is a camera in this retro-futuristic weapon as opposed to a scope like that of an older gun. The tiny circle in the centre is the lens. If that whole front of the camera looks like an eye it’s because I intended it to in order to add a kind of surreal effect. The “eye” represents two qualities. It represents the protagonist’s ambition to kill the ruler, UCoNet, who is a living interplanetary computer network. The "eye" also stands for the tyrannical UCoNet’s omniscience, and so UCoNet is a kind of mock biblical God in this story.





Atom punk laser gun pencil drawings

These are practice and brainstorm pencil drawings for the above picture.



Want to see some real atom punk art? Check out the links below!







As you may have noticed, I’ve been making a few changes to the blog, mostly with pages, to make it easier for you people to navigate my site to the topics you want. I hope it will help. If not then please let me know in the comments box or drop me an email at strosejr@gmail.com (please put "Comments for Far Out Fantastic Site" in the subject line). I want your experience here at the Far Out Fantastic Site to be as easy yet as exciting as possible. Just to let you know, however, I’m still in the process of adding pages so it may be another week or so before I get them all up. (I’m not a web design expert, as much as I love working with web design.)

Also, September 22nd will be the first anniversary of The Fool’s Illusion! And to celebrate, I may have something special such as a freebie! So check back here often between now and next weekend.


Until next time . . . 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least