Skip to main content

A Philip K. Dick Documentary and Hunting for His Books

It’s been a very busy week for me although a neat one. Even though really heavy writing of articles for clients while trying to squeeze in writing a new short story has been wearing me out, I came across some interesting things throughout the week. Two of them I found on Memorial Day Monday at Beer’s Books in Sacramento. Beer’s is one of the biggest used-book stores in the Sacramento area. You can almost find any book you can think of: anything from an early 20th century hardcover to 1950s pulps to newly printed books. Well, for the last three weeks I had been on a mad hunt for a copy of a book by Philip K. Dick, ideally a collection of his short works but I would have been happy with one of his novels. I’ve read his Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (the novel that the movie Blade Runner was based on) and A Penultimate Truth, plus one or two of his short stories from books I checked out at the library years ago. So I wouldn’t say I’ve been well-read in Phillip K. Dick, though I’ve always dug his stories. They are trips. At least as far as concept goes. Most of his stories involve characters’ confusion between reality and fantasy (in many of his stories, such as Androids, that fantasy being virtual reality).

Well, what made me want to read more of his work three weeks ago was when I had watched a really neat documentary about him put out by BBC (although Dick himself was American). The documentary is called Philip K. Dick: A Day in the Afterlife. The more the documentary talked about how his everyday life and locale inspired his stories, a life in a world infested with consumerism (which the world continues to be today), the more I wanted to get my hands on more of his tales.

I had not imagined that Dick was that popular. I went to four different used-book stores in the area and could not find one copy of his work that I did not read yet. Finally, I said to myself that I would look at Beer’s and if I didn’t find any of his work there that I haven’t already read then I’m not going to find it anywhere in the area and so if that would be the case then I’d better just turn to Amazon.

Well, I found a 1970s paperback copy of his 1957 novel, Eye In the Sky, and a copy of We Can Remember It for You Whole Sale, Volume Five of the Collected Stories which was published by Orion Books. The latter includes the title story that the 1990 movie and last year’s remake were based on, Total Recall. The first movie I hated enough, and the second one even though the characterization looked better it seemed to drift a little too far from the original plot for me since none of it was set on Mars. But I thought the concept was far out and so that’s why I purchased that particular collection. I actually just read the story today and it was a hell of a lot better than the original movie, that’s for sure. 

I’ll give a review of "We Can Remember It" here in the next week or two. But, for now, I strongly recommend you check out the documentary below. If you’ve read any work by Philip K. Dick, the documentary will make you want to read more. If you haven’t read any of his work, the movie will make you want to read it. Watch it and then let me know in the box below what you thought.


Until next time . . .



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least