Skip to main content

On Atom Punk

1958 paperback edition of a Ray Cummings sci fi novel
Photo Credit: Amazon/Ace Books




There's been a heat wave here in the Sacramento valley for the last two days. It reached 104 degrees today is what I understand. I know that's nothing compared to other regions in the nation and throughout the world, but if you're a native of this part (like me) you would think the sun is moving closer to the earth at rapid speed! Kind of like in the 1951 movie When Worlds Collide. Which brings me to my discussion here.

For the past week I've been working on a new short story of mine that's supposed to be an atom punk story. A lot of you probably don't know what atom punk is. It's just another -punkism of science fiction that derived from cyberpunk like steam punk did, only instead of cyber futures and alternative steam powered futures, it deals with alternative futures based on the 1950s/'60s anticipation of future society. Examples would be similar to what you would see in the cover illustrations of sci fi pulp novels and magazines of the '50s: cities of glass tube towers and bullet shaped rockets. As far as anything made today goes, the sci fi web series Mercury Men is a good example of atom punk. It's really good. Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to finish the whole series of what has been produced to date. To add to the atom punk style, it was deliberately filmed in black and white yet with a good balance of today's special effects. It's reminiscent of 1950s sci fi TV but also1930s and '40s movie serials (e.g. Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers).

An example of a full length atom punk film is Matt Mercury [http://www.mattmercury.com/] that's supposed to be releasing either in theatres or on streaming television. It's an indie film and so there hasn't been a whole lot of talk on it, but based on what I've read it seems to have promise. You may want to check the movie's official web site periodically for updates.

Examples of atom punk literature? Unfortunately there's really not a whole lot out there, and the little there is is very obscure. They say that William Gibson's short story "The Gernsback Continuum" is a good example, but in my opinion it only comes close. The alternative future in that story is based more on the 1930s perception of future society which gets more closer to the art deco style of that time, though the '50s did inherit a lot of art deco elements. It's a great story, but it may be more correctly classified as diesel punk. What kind of punkism is that? The movie Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is a good example. Diesel punk involves alternative futures based more on World War II era air crafts more than on space crafts.
But here's an author's website, Philip Reeve's, who is not only very knowledgeable of atom punk but is also one of those few authors (besides mwa) who is coming out with a story in the sub-genre, particularly a series of novels for young adults. But don't make the mistake of thinking only teens and pre-teens will get enjoyment out of this series. Look at what happened with Harry Potter in the fantasy genre!

The story I'm working on I consider to be atom punk. However, probably the only overt element of that sub-genre in this story is a vacuum tube that a person's holographic image is stored in. But I am in the process of putting in predominantly transparent glass architecture scenes so maybe that will give it a more atom punk flavour. I'll let you know what happens next time. You're probably wondering why I want to put my story in an atom punk setting. I'll go over that next time too. Now you have an even better reason to come back here next week! So . . .

Until then . . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least better, fi