Skip to main content

How RPGs Can Improve Your Fiction Writing

Three numbered RPG dice and a score pad.
Photo Credit: Pixabay.com



Certain aspects of the creation process in writing fiction can be overwhelming. For me those aspects are character development and, although to a lesser extent, world-building. Just think about it: you have so many levels to take care of in building a single character especially if it’s the protagonist or main character. Sometimes you feel like you have to be God just to make your characters and worlds believable. And being the Supreme Being is just a little impossible. As a writer, you not only have your character’s superficial characteristics such as physical features and speech mannerisms to take care of but also their psychological ones: the ways they think and perceive things, in many cases ways of thinking they do not directly express to the other characters but may still be essential to the story. 

Although creating character profiles is relatively easy, if you’re like me you might find it difficult to apply them to the story without making the characters seem stilted. But author Terry Ervin II explains how to take care of these problems. The solution? Play role playing games (RPGs).


In his article, “How Role Playing Games Can Enhance Your Writing Career” Ervin shows how to overcome the obstacles of character development and world-building by explaining the similarities between playing RPGs and writing fiction. He says that playing different characters in various settings in an RPG can help you understand the motivations and qualities of those characters. He explains how taking on the role of a character such as a wizard or secret agent helps the player understand the development of that character and how it’s influenced by the adventurous situations of the game. In turn, the character’s development evolves the game’s storyline

Ervin further compares the game moderator, also known as the game master (GM), to a fiction writer, explaining that the GM is in charge of both the “non player characters” as well as developing the world that the game is set in. I strongly recommend reading Ervin’s article if you have trouble developing your story’s characters or setting. 


My Upcoming Short Story


I said last week that I would have more news about my short story that I will be releasing in (mini) book format. It’s called “Circa Sixty Years Dead” and is about a young archeologist who encounters an unusual experience in an excavated temple. What is that experience? I won’t tell you now so as not to create a spoiler. But I will tell you that it is not a mummy’s curse, so you can forget that old trope. I’ll be releasing it in e-format for sure and possibly print by the beginning of next month. I’ll continue keeping you updated on it. To receive updates fastest, subscribe to my blog in the form near the bottom of the right sidebar.

I’ll leave you with this question: Do you think playing RPGs will help your fiction writing? Feel free to leave your answers in the box below.

Until next time . . .


For Further Reading: 



This illustrated guide to writing fantasy by Jeff VanderMeer also features articles by some big name writers such as George R.R. Martin, Michael Moorcock and, one of my favourites, Neil Gaiman! 


For Further (RPG) Playing:







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least