Skip to main content

IWSG: A Scene So Terrifying that I had to Rewrite It

Logo of the Insecure Writer's Support Group depicting a light house in the background.


It's the first Wednesday of the month and so it’s time for another Insecure Writer’s Support Group (IWSG) post! In an IWSG post, we writers bring our writing challenges and problems out into the open to share with each other and try to offer solutions. The challenge I bring to today’s post is the answer to the optional question of the month which is: Have you ever written something that afterwards you felt conflicted about? If so, did you let it stay how it was, take it out, or rewrite it? My answer to the first part of that question is: yes, I have. The answer to the second part: I rewrote it.


The conflicting part in my writing that I had to rewrite was in one of my recent stories that I’m working on for my upcoming book of short fiction, “Bad Apps”. This book will consist of stories about strange and deadly mobile apps. The story I had the challenge with involves a demonic creature from another universe that gets summoned through a music video. The creature is so chaotic and evil that it feeds off of perverted, sexual acts. One of these acts is a rape that occurs in the video. 

When I wrote this scene in the first draft, it was so terrifying to myself as the author that I knew it would be traumatic for many readers. So, I rewrote it toning down on the graphic details. Even then the scene was still disturbing. That was confirmed when I presented the story to my writers’ critique group. I had been sure to put a warning notice on the submission so that if anyone in the group was too easily disturbed by such traumatic scenes, they could pass up reading the story. And, sure enough, many did. 

After the critique meetup for that week, I was sure to refine the attack scene even more and so made it as implicit as possible without sacrificing too much of the terror of this terror tale. 

I’m not going into details of the changes I made for two reasons: 1) Even with the scene having been toned down twice, certain people may still find it too disturbing (we all have different tolerance levels); 2) For those who don’t get too disturbed by those things, especially those who like horror and suspense, I don’t want to create spoilers for when the book releases. I’m going to try to release it by fall sometime. 

If you want more details of “Bad Apps” and the progress I’m making on it (without the spoilers), then sign up for my free author’s newsletter, “Night Creatures’ Call”. For those who have already signed up, check your in-boxes within the next week or two for the next edition of the newsletter. 


Have you written anything that has bothered you so much that you needed to change it or even take it out completely?

Today’s IWSG is brought to you by these super co-hosts: Kate Larkindale, Diane Burton, Janet Alcorn, and Shannon Lawrence! IWSG was founded by awesome author Alex Cavanaugh, writer of the Cassa Series of novels! 

Until next time . . .


Comments

  1. That is a touchy subject for a lot of people. I know I tend to avoid stories and movies with rape scenes in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I would have preferred to do without it, but the nature of the story called for it. That act in the story does get condemned by the protagonists, though, I made sure of that.

      Delete
  2. I've never written something that scared me too much to share it, but I have certainly written things that made me feel like squirming the whole time they were out with critique partners. I also once wrote a scene that made me cry while I was writing it. That stayed there.... If I can make myself cry, then I should be able to kick my readers in the feels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always believed that if the story aroused emotions in the reader then it did at least part of its job, which is a very big and significant part.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least