Skip to main content

Dark Art and Letters at the 'Freakshow'

The front of a circus sideshow theatre.
Credit: Pixabay


Well, we're in the latter half of the summer now, the halfway point having been this past Monday. By the way, there was no blog post then because the previous Wednesday was an Insecure Writers support group (IWSG) blog hop. If you haven’t done so yet, you can read my contribution to it here. However, the summer is really flying by like a trapeeze artist! Speaking of which, my childhood summers were full of circuses. I loved going to the circus! Until I learned of the dark side of many of them. I was eventually disillusioned of the way many of the animals were treated. Still, I can’t help cherishing my memories of visits to the circus. 

So, as an adult, I’ve turned to the alternative. One that also often has a dark side but in a different sense: the nouveau cirque (‘new circus’). This type of circus is often inspired by the sideshows, also known as "freakshows", of traditional circuses of the 19th and early 20th centuries. Even so, they tend to have a much more humanitarian stance on the treatment of animals and human performers no matter how different they are. 

So, I was sure to attend the nouveau cirque that was in town on the last weekend of July. Actually, it was more of an oddities market but it included some small circus acts. It was Menagerie Oddities and Curiosities’ second annual "Freakshow!" (as it was titled) held on Saturday the 29th at the Tsakopoulos Library Galleria in Sacramento, California. While the artwork, strange yet hilarious clowns, skeletons of animals (said to be ethically obtained) and a presentation on early, real freakshows were great, or interesting at the very least, the attractions I want to talk about here on this blog of literary strangeness are antiquated horror books and their accessories. 


A Vendor of Antique-Style Horror Books 

Because this was held on the complex of a library, this oddities market wouldn't have been quite complete without a literary side (“show”) to it. After all, many of us book nerds are oddities or freaks ourselves, especially those of us who read (and, like myself, write) horror. One of the vending artists at this show was The Bookish Den. They had their booth of gothic wooden bookmarks and antique-style horror books. Many of the latter were covered in decorative gift wrap with gothic illustrations such as skulls, with text in the background. The work was so beautifully done it would be hard for any receiver of one of these gift books to tear the wrapper off! 

The bookmarks were cleverly made. They were wood with woodcut illustrations of gothic scenes such as graveyards, skeletons, bats and other creatures of the night. I thought they were so beautifully done, I purchased one featuring a graveyard scene with a giant skull hovering over it. When I got home that evening, I slipped it in my copy of an M.R. James short story collection. The Bookish Den was on the ground level floor of the vending area.


Rare, Illustrated Edition of a Poe’s ‘The Raven’ 

The second floor had vendors along the mezzanine that overlooked the first floor vendors. There were a lot of neat stuff up there too, including terrifying teddies and other such plushes, but one of the things that struck me most actually wasn’t at any of the vendor booths. It was inside the Sacramento Room where many old and rare books are shelved. It was an antique book of Edgar Allen Poe's "The Raven" that a librarian was exhibiting. 

This early edition of Poe’s famous gothic poem was folio size and had a lithograph of a winged/angelic man on the cover. Each line from the poem was featured on its own page with a corresponding page of an illustration opposite it. These lithographic illustrations were nearly photographic! They kind of reminded me of the art in my copy of “The Illustrated Poe” by Satty.  

But that’s only an antique of the 1970s, (and so not really quite an antique yet). The copy of “The Raven” exhibited at the library goes as far back as the Victorian era. The book was very old, and you could tell that it was fragile by its loose cover and browning pages. The librarian had to use latex gloves to turn the pages. I wish I had a photo of it, but I (as nobody should) dared not take a picture of it in its fragile condition. 


Even though I couldn't get a picture of the book, here are some pics I took in other parts of the oddities market that you might find fascinating: 


A scary, female clown holds up a parasol.


Circus dolls of a two headed clown; a weight-lifting three-breasted transgender; and two female dancers.


A huge teddy bear viciously showing its fangs.





Newsletter

I’m running later than I originally have been on the newsletter, “Night Creatures’ Call”, for July and August. A power outage in my neighbourhood last Wednesday set me back on some things and, unfortunately, the newsletter was one of them. I was without power from the early evening into the early morning hours. 

So, I ask that you give me another week to get the newsletter out. Just keep checking your in-boxes for those of you who subscribe. For those of you who don’t subscribe, you can do so for free here. In “Night Creatures’ Call”, I discuss the details of my latest projects, such as my upcoming book of short fiction, “Bad Apps”.



Have you been to an oddities show or a nouveau cirque? What’s the oldest book you’ve seen in person? 

Until next time . . .








Comments

  1. Shame they never have anything like that here.
    Know any small children you could've given the fanged bear to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol That's a good question. I wish I did know but, at the moment, i dont.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least