Skip to main content

The Museum, Fiction, and George Lucas

Photo Credit: Joi Ito/Wikimedia.org



It’s been a very busy week, mostly of writing articles for Examiner.com of which you can read the latest here. However, I have been working on my fiction more than ever. Not having a second job like I did a year ago allows for that. However, that may not be lasting very long. (I’m a seasonal worker for the state.)  



I got the strangest story idea from the strangest situation that happened to me at the museum that I visited today on this Free Museum Day which occurs every year about this time here in Sacramento. The story idea came about by way of a photo of a celebrity that I was observing who’s name I prefer not to mention here.  Maybe you’ll find out who it was whenever I come around to writing and publishing the story which will probably be a dark supernatural tale and so that’s how strange the occurrence was.



Anyway, I’ve been working on new fiction as well as my book of fiction that I’m planning to self-publish by spring of this year. I’m titling it The Fool’s Illusion which you can read an introduction to and an excerpt from the title story here. So far I’ve been working on a cover illustration for it. 



Not really anything that much more special going on. As far as science fiction and fantasy outside my own go, Chronicle just released yesterday which I personally haven’t seen yet and am not sure how good it is although it does look interesting and kind of intense. It’s about a group of teenage boys who gain super powers that get out of control. Like really out of control. It has its humourous parts though, which I guess would be comic relief.

I still have yet to see, what is supposed to be, George Lucas’s last mainstream film (besides the fourth Indiana Jones film that has been said to be in the plans) before he retires from this kind of film making and return to his earlier ambition of making more symbolic and experimental movies, according to a New York Times article. The movie is Red Tails and has been out for about a week. The NY Times also says that his experimental work will most likely only screen in certain theaters that specialize in such films. Personally I’m hoping these alternative movies will make it to some of the indie theaters here in Sac since I love experimental films, especially when they get into the surreal.  Oh, and one of my latest articles discusses a fan film that received more than a million clicks about a week ago, Star Wars Uncut, and so mentions Lucas’s retirement and how his company OK’d the film which was ironic because he has had some bad criticism from fans lately, undeservedly.



Well that’s it for this week. Until next time . . .




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least