Skip to main content

Just Checking the Facts, Ma'am, for My Book

I was about to mail off printed copies of The Fool's Illusion bookmarks to my friend Emerian Rich, of HorrorAddicts.net for her to distribute at BayCon in Santa Clara. However, the con is next weekend and so I didn't think they would reach her in time. Emerian was nice enough to offer to put them out on the free literature table at the con. So if you're reading this, Emerian, I apologise for not being able to mail them to you but I really appreciate the offer and will definitely let you know when Fool's Illusion is out. And it's getting closer to its release, everybody! I apologise for not being able to give specifics at this time, but once it's ready for release I'll let you know.

I'm in the fact checking stage of my introduction to the book. I was working on that for nearly half the day today, sitting in a Starbuck's burning my brains out researching information for the accuracy of the details of my subject which is harder than a lot of people would think. You want to make sure you check credible sources but the problem with Internet, unlike with most libraries, is that there are a lot of unreliable resources out there in cyberspace written by any pea brained dork. And it take's a hell of a lot more time weeding through all the crap resources in order to get to the credible ones. But then what do you expect? It's the Internet, which is an entire universe within itself and one that is expanding like our own outer universe (material as opposed to virtual) has been said to be. It's kind of funny because the very research I was doing today covers the subject of the unreliability of resources though not so much in the sense of academic research but more in the sense of popular media.

Sacramento's May the Fourth Be With  You Star Wars mini celebration went by really good. Both organizations from the general community as well as fans were there and the event reflected the universality of the Star Wars myth because of that. You can read more about it in my article at Examiner.com.

I finally rented and watched the 2012 movie, Argo. It's based on the late '70s/early '80s hostage crisis in Iran, and shows how a CIA member helped six hostages escape through a film shoot front. The film: a Star Wars knock-off called "Argo". As historical based as the movie is, it has some great meta-theatrical, particularly meta-cinematic, themes playing in it. The popular culture of the 1970s is depicted really well in it unlike with the majority of 20th century period films. The main characters were realistically portrayed. However, there were some flaws, one of the biggest being that the conflict between the U.S. and Iran was depicted too simplistically to a point where an anti-Semitic/anti-Islamic message seemed to be implied. However, as a film that depicts the pop culture of an era and conveys the power of B-rated movie making used in a real life crisis, I thought the movie worked well. The basic historical facts were presented convincingly enough. But then again, it is Hollywood, so watch out.

Here's a particularly good, well thought out review of Argo by film critic Lisa Kennedy of the Denver Post.

I'll leave you with that for now.

Until next time . . .

--Steven Rose, Jr.


Please visit and Like The Fool's Illusion Facebook page.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least