Skip to main content

A Sci Fi and Fantasy Guide to Read A Book Day

A cartoon owl sits on top of a book.
Photo Credit: Openclipart.org



Labor Day isn’t the only holiday we have this weekend. Although it may not be official, tomorrow, Sunday the 6th of September, is National Read A Book Day.  people are encouraged to read a book. So don’t just take a break from work, but take a break from burning your eye-balls out from the TV, computer, and cinema screens and read a book. Although some like to read books on a computer screen of some sort, I prefer my book in print and so like to feel with my hands what I’m reading; I like to hold the art of the book binding. But what medium you read on is up to you. As long as you forget the video for the day and read a book--or even better, read several books--you will be truly celebrating Read A Book Day which is what I plan to do.

For those of you who are not sure which books to read, I conjured up this list of past blog posts featuring book titles to help you. Most of these are sci fi and fantasy books since this is primarily a speculative fiction blog, but if you follow my blog that’s probably what you read anyway. If you don’t then at least you’ll have some recommendations from a genre outside your usual one and may even end up liking it. Who knows? Maybe there will be a Read A Science Fiction/Fantasy Book Day sometime in the future to encourage people to read books in the genre. I also added to the list a couple book titles that you can find at Amazon.


A List to Help You With National Read A Book Day


Yes, it’s a list within a list. I thought there was no better way than to begin an end-of-summer reading list than with a summer reading list. Especially since I never got around to making a summer reading list this year.



In here, I talk about Adam Douglass’s and Kim Stanley Robinson’s books. So you’ll see some titles by them. Plus, there’s a link to another book list in this one.  So that gives you more options for sure.

Though we’re a long ways off from December, the books in this post are great for reading at any time of the year.

Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury
This is probably one of the best books to read on a literary holiday such as Read A Book Day since it’s about books in the future.

The Fool’s Illusion, Steven Rose, Jr. 
If none of the titles in this list or at its links interest you, you can purchase a copy of my book of short fiction that is sure to entertain you. In fact, it will be three years old the 22nd of this month! Look out for a special anniversary blog around then.


Now, what am I planning on reading this Sunday? I’m going to try to struggle through the bad writing yet good story of Ian Fleming’s Doctor No (one of the earliest James Bond novels), read a story or two from Fred Saberhagen’s Berserker, and start one of three novels from the ‘60s and ‘70s by Larry Niven: Protector; World of Ptavvs; or A World Out of Time.

What are you planning to read for National Read a Book Day? Feel free to leave your answers in the box below. Other than that . . .

Until next time . . .



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least better, fi