Skip to main content

6 Pics from Sinister Creature Con

Sinister Creature Con was a blast. I was there most of the day. Even though it catered more to the cinematic special effects and make-up crowd, I found a lot of great inspiration and motivation for my own art, the art of words particularly. I want to share with you that inspiration and the tips that came from it but it’s been a long day, so tonight’s not the best time. I would do it next week but that’s when I want to give you a chance at winning a giveaway through a Halloween contest and I’m not sure if I’ll be able to fit both in that weekend, especially since I have a family gathering to go to that evening. So it will probably be either Halloween weekend or the weekend after. But I would like to share some photos* with you that I took at the con which you’ll find below. Most are of attendees who came in costume which theirs and many others’ were really out’a sight!





Two furries (or hairries?)









Three convention attendees in costume: Michael Jackson "Thriller" Werewolf, "Old Man" in a cloak, and a "Pimp".

Three cousins in costume, from left to right: Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” Werewolf, Old Man in a Cloak (but my cousin underneath is nowhere near an old man; in fact, he just turned 21 this past summer!); and Pimp. People were really impressed with the Werewolf. Other attendees kept asking if they could take his photo. He even danced in a spontaneous act with his Michael Jackson “Thriller” zombie double! Sadly, I wasn’t with them at the time to snap a photo.







Convention attendee in Magenta maid costume from The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
Magenta the Maid, from The Rocky Horror Picture Show.







Two costumed con attendees: Magenta the maid with glitter dressed Columbia from The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
Magenta with Columbia, from Rocky Horror.







Two con attendees in black and white striped costumes, one with ghoulish green paint on her face and holding a stuffed unicorn.
A couple of friendly ghoul girls I asked if I could snap a photo of.






Bookmark depicting the right top portion of a green face peering out of a blackened window.


And for those of you who were not able to make it, here’s the Hidden promo bookmark I distributed copies of at the swag table in the dealers’ room. As I said last week, I had to get it together fast using stock photos because I couldn’t make the book cover’s illustration that I wanted to base it off of in time. I wasn’t even sure if I would get this one done in time for the con, but I did. So Canva, the online photo-editing software I used to design the bookmark, worked out pretty good.

I did, however, have to leave a tiny flaw in the bookmark because I didn’t have time to fix it. Can you find it? If you do, point it out by telling me in the box below. For that matter, if you find any other flaws in it that I may have overlooked, please also point them out. It will help me do better on the next one.

Until next time . . .


* Photo credits: Steven Rose, Jr.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least better, fi