Skip to main content

Post-Halloween Post: 'I, Frankenstein', Writing Challenges, Variant Cover

I hope everybody had a great Halloween. It went by all too fast as always. Maybe that’s why I’m a horror writer, so I can have “Halloween” year round. Overall, my All Hallow’s Eve was okay, even though I became dreadfully sick and I hadn’t even eaten any candy! So I didn’t do anything that night except stay home and read H.P. Lovecraft’s “The Rats In the Walls”, which is one of his best stories and has plenty of Gothic elements such as a haunted castle and a dreadful family secret. I strongly suggest reading it. The next evening, however, I attended a Halloween party that my writers group put on. Each year we get together on or near the hallow-day and read a story we each wrote based on a photo prompt. I’m not good writing in response to prompts, at least when it comes to fiction. So I’ll admit that my story was crap. But I’m glad I wrote and read it for the sake of participating. Here’s some more of my post-Halloween activity:



Short Movie Review of I, Frankenstein


The day after the party I was sick again. This time jt was probably from eating too much Halloween candy and other goodies at the night before. So I stayed indoors most of the day. I used part of the time to watch 2014’s I, Frankenstein that one of the local TV stations was airing. I hadn’t seen it before. Overall, I liked it. It’s a popcorn horror/dark fantasy flick, but it worked. What made this movie fairly good was that the story stays relatively true to Mary Shelley’s novel. Even though it starts out after the events of the book, its continuity between them and those of the movie was strong. The movie was loaded with plenty of suspense and story development and more than enough action. In fact, the movie was mostly all action, which kind of rushed the story. The set design was fantastic, though. The special effects were okay, the exception being that when the demons are killed in battle and explode the pixelation of the digital effects give away the realism. Also, Frankenstein’s monster (given the name “Adam” in this movie and played by Aaron Eckhart) looked too much like a normal human being which was my biggest fault with the movie. Other than those few problems, it wasn’t bad.

The Challenge of Writing the Opposite Sex’s P.O.V.


Now that the Halloween rush is over, I’ve been getting back on track with my writing projects. I’m continuing editing my current short story, a sci fi horror about a search engine. It’s been a bit of a challenge because the main character is a woman and I haven’t written many stories with female protagonists. The few that I have I’ve fallen short in developing their main characters. But the key to writing from the point of view of the opposite sex is to think of the common human desires and ambitions your protagonist has, and so desires and ambitions we all share as human beings, then give him/her distinctive traits. An article by author A. Lee Martinez at WritersDigest.com talks about this in more detail and so if you have problems writing from the view point of the opposite gendre I strongly recommend reading it. 

Writing Through the Block


The other challenge with this story was a sudden case of writer’s block. It came about from myself having inevitably changed directions in the course of the story while revising. I couldn’t go back to the old direction because the story and character would’ve remained stale. So what did I do when I couldn’t find a solution that connected A with B and therefore one scene with the next? I simply wrote through the block. Not only did it help me continue revising the story but it lead to a new idea that enhanced the plot! So the next time you get a block in your writing try writing through it no matter how lame the words seem. It’s in writing itself that develops ideas and brings in new ones, maybe not immediately but eventually.

To Come . . .


The other project I’ll be returning to is “Circa Sixty Years Dead”’s variant cover, the photo realistic cover that I said I would give my newest published book of horror. [link] So you’ll be hearing more about that in the weeks to come.



So what did you do for Halloween? Did you go to any parties? Hand out treats? Hand out tricks? Did you watch or read any good horror? Feel free to leave your responses in the box below.


Until next time . . .

A skull with a pair of skeleton hands beneath it.
Credit: Pixabay.com




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least