Skip to main content

Looking At the Very Near Future of 2018: Writing Resolutions

A wizard lays a hand on a crystal ball while firing off a blow torch.
Credit: Openclipart.org





Well, as you may have noticed, 2018 isn’t getting a good start here at the Far Out Fantastic Site since I missed posting last week. So I apologise for that. It was a busy weekend, and some of us celebrate the holidays as long as six days into the new year and since this isn’t a religious blog I won’t go into details with the exception of a few clues: Magic, Magi and Three Kings. Put them together or do a Google search on all three, which is, by the way, a number that has traditionally been believed by many societies to be magic.

Last blog post we looked back at the previous year of 2017. This post let’s look into the very near future of 2018 of a not very well-known author’s life. To be specific, let’s look at this author’s planned resolutions of the new year.

My Very Near, Planned Future of 2018


1. Do more live events to promote my books. As I said last post, one of my greatest accomplishments of 2017 was doing my first live event to promote my books. Because that was so successful, I’m going to try promoting at more conventions.

2. Submit a short story to at least three (that magic number again!) publications. For the last five years or so I have been focusing on self-publishing more than anything and so had only been considering publications for submission. But in order to broaden your chances of making your work known to a wider audience, an author should take as many routes possible. So I’m going to give an ample amount of time throughout the year to research the markets and submit to at least three of them.

3. (Aaaand that magic number again!) Resume the publishing process of my second short fiction collection. It’s been nearly two years since I’ve worked on my second book of short fiction, that I had entitled The Hidden. When I last spoke of it , I said I would take a “slight hiatus”, though it’s been a little longer than slight. I had also said that I would publish some of the stories for that collection individually and so each as its own book. I only did that with one so far, which was “Circa SixtyYears Dead” Because I’ve seen how well publishing a single short work as such works, I’m planning to return to self-publishing the second collection. So, how well did publishing the above mentioned single short story work? Well enough to move on to publishing it in the upcoming collection.

4. Write another novella. As I also said last time, writing a full draft of a novella was a great accomplishment for 2017 because it was the first time I completed a draft in that format. So this year’s goal will be to write a second novella in full first draft format and begin the revision process.

5. Give A Far Out Fantastic Site a new look. It’s been more than two years since I changed the appearance of the blog, so it’s due for new appearance. You’re probably sick of seeing an image of several heads floating in a vortex. An image that’s repeated across the screen 10-plus times!

6. Advocate more overtly for Freehand Illustration. You may have noticed by now, if you’ve been reading my blog for at least the last year, that I’ve discussed a lot of the benefits of freehand book illustration, especially for covers, in this age of computer art (a.k.a. digital art). I think 2018 will be the year that I start carrying out more strategy to promote other freehand illustrators’ work so the world will see the aesthetic value in art made by the active technicques of human beings rather than the methods of machines.


Everybody's Very Near Future of 2018?


Well, that’s looking at my future life of 2018. Now whether it’s to be fulfilled or not is a different story. But now what about the future of all of us for 2018? Well, I was reading an interesting article concerning that. Anticipation of 2018 was actually attempted by intellects in 1968. And, as the article discusses, while much of that anticipation missed the mark, some of it came pretty close. Give it a read. You may be surprised. It’s in the online version (and probably the hard copy one as well) of The New Yorker and is called The 1968 Book That Tried to Predict the World of 2018”

Along similar lines, a documentary, made not too long after the book that the above mentioned article discusses, is the 1972 documentary Future Shock. And even though the predictions of this documentary, which was based on the 1970 book of the same name, are not precise they also come eerily close. It’s really well-made, partly because it’s narrated by the great Orson Welles. So I suggest you check it out as well, which you can do for free on YouTube.




So what are your plans, predictions and/or resolutions for the immediate future of 2018?


Until next time . . .  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least