Skip to main content

WorldCon 76 Charity Auction To Offer a Vast Selection of Sci Fi Treasures

A flying saucer searches for sunken treasure.
Credit: Pixabay.com



In less than a week I will be attending WorldCon 76! I’ve been looking at the programme schedule (the newly revised one ): the number of panels and other events are overwhelming! A person can’t say there won’t be enough events or activity there. There are going to be plenty of writing and art panels, fiction reading panels, author signings, game panels, film screenings, cosplay and of course the Hugo Awards! You can find the programme schedule here  for more activities. One of the events that I don’t dare fail to mention, though, is the charity auction. It is the main charity event of the world science fiction convention for this year. I was looking at the list of donated auction items the other day and it has some really neat sci fi and fantasy stuff!


My Donation In Honour of a Horror Show Host


WorldCon’s charity auction will benefit the Alzheimer’s Association of Northern California and Northern Nevada. The Alzheimer’s Association is a non-profit organization that helps people with Alzheimer’s, a disease that causes severe memory loss, and supports research in finding a cure. As a sci fi author, artist and fan, I felt the need to contribute to an important cause such as this and so I did (see below).

WorldCon’s choice of charity for this year was inspired by the late Bob Wilkins and chosen with the help of Mr. Wilkins’ surviving family. Mr. Wilkins was a late-night horror TV show host back in the 1970s. I grew up on his shows, The Bob Wilkins Show and Creature Features. The first aired on Sacramento local TV stations and the second broadcasted from the San Francisco/Bay Area. Watching his shows and the A-rated and B-rated movies they featured played a big role in becoming the writer and artist of science fiction and fantasy that I am today. 

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Wilkins and his very good wife, Sally, back in the mid 2001s at WonderCon, the sister con to San Diego’s Comic Con, when it used to be held in San Francisco. He suffered with Alzheimer’s. So, after he passed away in 2009 and the family asked for donations to the Alzheimer’s Association in lieu of flowers, I was much obliged to donate.

So in honour of Bob Wilkins, I have donated an item for WorldCon’s charity auction that’s proceeds are to benefit the Alzheimer’s Association. I donated an approximately 6-inch action figure from a series of action figures called, believe it or not, Creature Features! However, I don’t believe the series was based on Bob Wilkins’ show. “Creature features” has just grown to be a common term for horror films in general. And the funny thing was that, when I donated the item, I forgot the name of the series it was from. It wasn’t until I saw it displayed on the WorldCon website that I remembered the name and realised it, even if unintentionally, reflected Bob Wilkins’ locally famous show. For that reason, I officially declare that donation as an honour to Bob Wilkins’ show of the same name: Creature Features.

An action figure of the 'She Creature' in its packaging.
Credit: WorldCon76.org



The specific character the action figure depicts is the monster from HBO’s made-for-cable movie, The She Creature. The movie was a remake of the 1950s B-rated film of the same name. The action figure is a replica of the special effects artist’s, the late Stan Winston’s, sculpture made for the production of the film. For more about this item that’s up for auction, see the post for it at WorldCon 76’s blog. 


Other Donated Items


There are a lot of other donated items for auction displayed on the con’s website. Some of these are:

  • A Hugo Loser’s “Award” Plaque (a good-humoured novelty, I’m sure!)

  • An iron coin based on George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire series of novels that HBO’s Game of Thrones is based on. (The author himself is scheduled to make an appearance there!)

  • Audio books
  • The first four issues of Asimov’s SF Adventure Magazine from the 70s

  • A limited illustrated edition of Larry Niven’s Ringworld (who is also scheduled to appear!). I’ve read his first two books of the Ringworld series and they were fantastic! This edition of the first one should be even more fantastic with the beautiful art inside. Sure, its a French translation, but even if you don’t speak the language the artwork alone will probably make it worth bidding on!

  • Frank Frazetta’s Princess of Mars statue: this beautifully painted statue is based on Frazetta’s depiction of the Edgar Rice Burroughs character. Frazetta is one of the best sci fi/fantasy artists who did illustrations for numerous book covers when science fiction and fantasy books actually had freehand illustrations.

  • Star Trek memoribilia
And more! So check out the website


I’m not sure if I’ll be posting next week since it will be a very busy weekend for me. I’ll try to squeese in a short post, probably a mini update of the con. If not then I’ll have a more full report of the convention the following week. WorldCon 76 is the world science fiction and fantasy convention that gathers some of the most famous artists and writers of the genre. It will be held at the McEnery Convention Center in downtown San Jose, California, 16 August to 20 August. Maybe I’ll run into some of you there!

Are you attending WorldCon? If so, what events are you looking forward to? Feel free to leave your answers and any other comments in the box below!

Until next time . . .









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least better, fi