Skip to main content

Special Con Review, Part II: WorldCon 76—Cosplay, Hugos, ‘Amazing Stories’

A flying saucer hovering in the air and generating a beam of light.
Credit: Pixabay.com



Last post of this two-part con report, I talked about the panels I attended on Saturday at WorldCon 76 in San Jose. I particularly talked about ones that I felt were most important to writers and readers of science fiction and fantasy. I also discussed how they reflected the growing racial and cultural diversity in the genres. If you missed last week’s post you can catch it here. This week I’m going to discuss the other events at the 76th World Science Fiction Convention such as the masquerade (cosplay), the Hugo Awards and a special person I came across.



The Masquerade


The masquerade started at 8 PM and was held Saturday in the Grand Ballroom. As I said last post, many of the panels I attended earlier that day were so packed they sometimes didn’t allow for even standing room. The Harlan Ellison Memorial was in that boat and so I was not able to attend it as planned. After running around the entire McEnery Convention Center, where WorldCon was held, all day I wasn’t about to work my way through the huge crowded building to the the Grand Ballroom only to find out there was no standing room (let alone sitting). I was already in the exhibit hall planning to shop in the dealers’ section only to find out that section was closed for the evening. The masquerade is the heart of any full fledged science fiction and fantasy convention. And I knew it was already packed wall to wall because it was close to 8. So if all the panels you attend are filled to the capacity, you damn well know the masquerade will be. So I watched it on streaming video on the giant screen that loomed above Callahan’s Place.

What is Callahan’s Place? It’s a pub in down town San Jose. Or was. Like the old curiosity shops of science fiction and fantasy pulp mags, it disappeared almost overnight. It was actually a portion of the exhibit hall sectioned off to serve as a bar for all five days of the convention where people could sit to unwind with drinks and chat about their favourite sci fi and fantasy. It was named after author Guest of Honour Spider Robinson’s series of novels of the same name.

So, after flipping through some fanzines in the nearby fanzine lounge, I took a seat in the Place and watched the masquerade from there. Unfortunately, there were several technical errors that took place at the masquerade itself such as stage lighting shutting off, but the host, Chris Garcia, took it very well and with good humour. One of the most notable costume skits was one titled “A Wretched Hive of Scummy Villainy”, a parody of the cantina scene in Star Wars: A New Hope, where several cosplayers dressed as aliens such as the scaly bounty hunter, Greedo. If I remember correctly, it was this participant who held a picket sign and, at the end of the skit, turned it to face the audience to show that it read “Not My Emperor”. Everybody roared with laughter as well as applauded. And boy, did I applaud! It shows you how bad Emperor Palpatine/Trump is: not even the “scum and villainy” can stand people like them! Anyway, it was that team of cosplayers who won in a couple of categories: Judges’ Choice for Silicon Mask Work; and Best Mask. You can find out who the other winners of the masquerade were at the convention’s newsletter


The Hugo Awards


Also held in the Grand Ballroom, the next evening at 8 PM, was the Hugo Awards Ceremony. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to attend (I had already headed for home that day). But the ceremony presented a new award this year (although it wasn’t a Hugo). It was the World Science Fiction Society (WSFS) Best Young Adult Book Award. This was a great achievement for the ceremony and the WSFS itself since YA fiction, especially in the speculative genres, has become very popular and well received in the last few years. The winner of this award was Akata Warrior, by Nnedi Okorafor (published by Viking). Some notable Hugo winners were for:

Best Fazine: File 770, edited by Mike Glyer

Best Semiprozine: Uncanny Magazine, edited by Lynne M. Thomas, Michael Damian Thomas and others

Best Professional Artist: Sana Takeda

Best Dramatic Presentation – Long Form: Wonder Woman, directed by Patty Jenkins and screenplay written by Allan Heinberg

Best Related Work: No Time to Spare: Thinking About What Matters, by Ursula K. Le Guin (published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)

Best Series: World of the Five Gods, by Lois McMaster Bujold (published by Harper Voyager)

Best Short Story: “Welcome to your Authentic Indian Experience”, by Rebecca Roanhorse (from Apex magazine, August 2017 issue)

Best Novel: The Stone Sky, by N.K. Jemisin (published by Orbit)


For for a list of winners in other categories of the Hugos and of other awards presented at the ceremony check out the post at WorldCon 76’s blog or, better yet, watch a video recording of the ceremony at the con’s YouTube channel!


Running Into Chief Editor of ‘Amazing Stories’ Magazine


Looking back to Saturday of the con, I was walking from a panel that just got done when a man with long, white hair and a beard handed me a copy of Amazing Stories. He was handing out a bunch for free. That was Steve Davidson, the one who revived the magazine that started in 1926 and sadly stopped publication in 2005. But, thanks to him, it’s now back in publication! I did not realise it was Steve until I had already walked away. I was in a hurry trying to turn in some lost keys I found in the men’s restroom. Finding the lost-and-found was a hell of a lot more complicated than I thought. I went to about three different places in the convention center, each telling me that it was not the place where they take lost items and one or two referring me back to a previous point that I tried. Finally, I was directed to the right place. That must have been a 15 minute or longer trip to turn those keys in.

I did an article on Steve Davidson’s relaunch of Amazing Stories for Examiner.com when I was freelancing for them and before they went obsolete. I was pondering whether to go back and talk to Steve but then thought he was probably gone by now. But I went back anyway and, surprisingly, he was still there handing out copies of the magazine. I thanked him again for the magazine and then told him who I was. I told him about the article I did on his relaunch of Amazing Stories and he thanked me. He was very pleasant. I asked if the magazine is sold in stores and he said it’s only sold through subscription, as individual issues at Amazon, and distributed at conventions like he was doing that day. I haven’t had a chance to read the copy he gave me, but I did flip through it later. There’s a lot of good stuff in there, including an article by Robert Silverberg about his relationship with the magazine. As soon as I catch up on my present reading, I’ll be sure to read the issue all the way through! 


In the Dealers’ Room


I spent most of Sunday in the dealers’ room and made sure I went early enough since that was the day I had planned to come home. Although most of the tables were book dealers’ there were a lot of arts and crafts and a few game dealers. The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) had a table there. I talked to a couple of the staff members at the table about membership. They actually accept indie/self-published writers in their organization. I’ll consider applying for membership! See their website for details on how to apply.  




Like I arrived to the 76th World Science Fiction Convention later than I had wanted to, I also left it later than I had originally planned. Besides an overwhelming number of panels and other events there, the exhibit hall itself had an overwhelming number of things to see and I wanted to make sure I saw at least the best of exhibits and dealers’ tables. So I caught a train home by three hours or so later than I had intended. But big cons like WorldCon only come every so often near a person’s home area. If I had more money I would’ve stayed another day but economic reality called me home. However, after all the panels I attended and talks that I had with great authors and artists, literary reality also called me home. I had a lot of writing to catch up on and improve upon.


What’s the largest sci fi/fantasy convention you’ve attended? Did you have a hard time selecting events to attend there?

Until next time . . .




At Amazing Amazon!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least