Skip to main content

Procrastinating Writing the Story by Writing the Character Profile

A moon man frowns and winks.
Credit: Pixabay.com





Last year for National Novel Writing Month, a.k.a. NaNoWriMo, I wrote my first full novella. However, I didn’t finish the first draft until sometime around the new year. I’m not sure if it will be much different with the novella I’m writing this year. I haven’t been meeting the minimum goal I originally set for myself which was 1,250 words a day. It shows that I don’t have the attention span to write long works. However, I compromised with myself saying that if I don’t feel I can make it to 1,250 words a day, considering that my day job takes up most of my time, then I’ll shoot for one page a day give or take a little. I say “give or take a little” because the numbers of words vary between pages in almost any kind of writing.

I’m also behind because of procrastination. Or what I at first thought was procrastination. I’m the kind of person who likes to plan things when it comes to projects rather than just dive in. Although I’m not a fan of outlining the story before writing it, for longer works, such as novellas, I like to write out a brief outline so I’ll have a rough idea where to go with the story. If I don’t I may never get the first draft finished. Besides making a story outline, I’ve lately also been making a character outline before writing the actual story. The character outline is basically a very brief character profile. I learned how useful this can be at one of the writers panels I attended at WorldCon back in the summer.

When you think about it, characters make the story. We as people automatically make stories in our own daily lives. The decisions we make lead to results, good or bad, and when put together those results turn into stories. For example, Mike wakes up to his alarm clock to go to work. But then he decides not to go because he’s tired of doing a routine job. So he calls in “sick” and goes to the movies instead. But one of the supervisors who happened to have the day off sees Mike at the movie theatre and squeels on him. Mike gets a phone call from his boss who says he’s fired. All those decisions Mike made led to events and together they added up to a story—a very simple, mundane story, but a story nevertheless.

I’ve discovered over the years that, if I work the main character into the story as I’m writing the rough draft it’s a hell of a lot harder for me to go anywhere with it. And so I get a wave of writer’s block. That’s because I don’t know the character and so don’t know what she would do in given situations. So if you make a basic character profile—a listing of qualities such as the person’s age, sex, occupation, her number one interest or pass time, a few physical traits, and of course her name—you have a better idea of how she would react in a certain situation. So yes, part of my “procrastination” was through creating the main character before writing the actual story. But then again, like society makes history, characters make stories. So someone has to be in the story to trigger the events in order to make the story.

So when you write out your plan for your novel or novella, whether that plan is a brief story outline or a brief character profile, you can’t really be procrastinating because you are writing even if you’re not writing the story itself. Do you plan your main character before writing your story or do you write him or her in as you are writing the rough draft? Feel free to leave your answers in the box below.

Until next time . . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least