Skip to main content

Horror and Sci Fi: Expressing the Unknown and Fearful


A badge for the Insecure Writer's Support Group depicting a lighthouse in the background.





Well it’s already the first week of the month and so that means it’s time for another Insecure Writer’s Group (IWSG) post! IWSG is a monthly blog hop that occurs every first Wednesday of the month where we writers talk about the challenges in writing and how to resolve them. Each month the blog hop offers an optional question for us to answer, in which I have opted to answer this month’s. The question is “Of all the genres you read and write, which is your favorite to write in and why?” My answer: horror and sci fi. As for the why: I’ve been a longtime lover of the unknown which science fiction and horror expresses.

Horror and sci fi appealed to me most ever since I was a kid, almost since I learned to walk! I guess you can say I got into those genres because several members of my family were sci fi and/or horror fans, especially on my mom’s side (though my mom herself wasn’t a fan) but my dad also watched a lot of the two genres. I got hooked to sci fi early with television series such as Lost In Space (the original) and the Japanese series Ultra-Man. A little later I got into Star Trek. And, growing up in the 70s, I experienced the new phenomenon of the very first Star Wars film, (now subtitled A New Hope) which enhanced my love for science fiction even more.

I got hooked on horror through TV horror hosted movies that haunted the television sets in my family. Starting when I was around five, my dad and my uncles on my mom’s side let me watch with them movies hosted by a television horror host local to our Sacramento region, the late Bob Wilkins. Hosts such as him, would screen a horror or science fiction film on television each Saturday night, like what the nationally-known Elvira (Cassandra Peterson) would do with her Movie Macabre in the 1980s. During the commercial break, they would discuss the movie as well as other movies of the horror and sci fi genres. Then in grammar school my teachers would every now and then read us scary stories of the supernatural written for young readers. That got me reading supernatural horror. And super hero and horror comics also got me started on my speculative literary journey of life.

My interest in horror and sci fi, in addition to other types of fantasy, has also been due to myself as someone who has always liked discovering things beyond the ordinary. I’ve always gotten easily bored with mundane, everyday lifestyles. The unknown and unusual--no matter how dark or mysterious, no matter how fearful--have always fascinated me. My Catholic boyhood also played a part in this when I would read or hear about mystical events of the Bible or claims of apparitions of the Virgin Mary and angels. And, because I’ve always had that inclination towards the mysterious and unexplained, I’ve been most interested in writing science fiction and supernatural horror--two genres that explore what often cannot be explained or that human beings know very little about.


Two skulls sit next to an open book.
Credit: Pixabay.com



Now how did I get into writing in these genres rather than just reading them? I guess my fantasising up my own worlds that I would act out with my brothers and friends in free form rpg for our time (before the term “rpg” was popularly coined), was not enough for momentary acting out. Ever since I was six, I loved drawing out scenes of horror and sci fi. But by 5th grade, when I learned more about story construction in class, I started trying my hand at writing in those genres. Eventually, in high school, I wanted to write screenplays for science fiction films and so had a big desire to work for Hollywood. But when I learned how corrupt Tinsel Town is, I decided to stick with writing prose fiction. (That’s not too say I won’t use my writing skills in the indie film sector, though.) 

As a person who has grown up on entertainment that expresses the unknown and our fascination and fear of it, I can almost write in nothing but the genres of horror and sci fi. However, I have written in others such as non-fiction covering computer technology. That’s probably because so much computer technology started as science fiction which has also overlapped with horror.

IWSG was founded by author Alex Cavanaugh. This month’s IWSG co-hosts are Diane Burton, Kim Lajevardi, Sylvia Ney, Sarah Foster, Jennifer Hawes, and Madeline Mora-Summonte. Thanks to Alex and all the co-hosts for organising June’s IWSG!

Until next time . . .



Comments

  1. Steven, I got into horror, sci fi, and fantasy much as you did. I started to write what I wanted to read, and here I am today. :-) Thanks for visiting my blog tonight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speculative genres are so awesome and there's infinite room for the imagination to work with. It's a pleasure visiting get your blog. Thanks for visiting mine!

      Delete
  2. Both do carry elements of the unknown. And we humans want to know!
    I bet you like movies like Alien and Event Horizon that mix both genres.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Alien is a favourite of mine and I haven't seen Event Horizon but have heard good things about it. That's one I have to check out!

      Delete
  3. I love not knowing how to explain things! I think that's why I enjoy fantasy and msyteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If everything was solved in the universe, if there was a known answer to everything life would be a total drag! And so because life is still full of mysteries that's why we have such fun genres such as mystery, fantasy and sci fi. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. I like all speculative fiction although gore or extreme violence I try to avoid, but I read wide too. Happy IWSG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I try to avoid the extreme violence and extreme gore myself. The only time I'll include graphic violence or gore is if my story and the events within it call for it. I don't do gore/violence exploitation. And yes, it's very important to read as widely as you can which I also try to do. It enhances us as writers.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least