Skip to main content

IWSG Post for 1 April 2020


Logo for the Insecure Writer's Support Group with a lighthouse illustration in the background.


We are in a time of plague, but even so it’s not the end of the world. (At least not yet.) So as with every first Wednesday of the month (although here on the west coast it's already early Thursday, so my apologies for posting late) it is time for another Insecure Writers Support Group (IWSG) post! In an IWSG post, we writers bring our writing challenges and problems out into the open to share with each other and try to come up with solutions.

The IWSG question for this month: The IWSG’s focus is on our writers. Each month, from all over the globe, we are a united group sharing our insecurities, our troubles, and our pain. So, in this time when our world is in crisis with the covid-19 pandemic, our optional question this month is: how are things in your world? In answer to this, other than an occasional (an average of once a week, maybe), quick trip in town for the absolute essentials (e.g. groceries) and a very short daily walk outside for fresh air, I have only left the house to work at my day job which has been declared by our state officials as essential service. But, since this is a blog hop about writing, I’ll move on to writing in relation to the pandemic.

So, things in my writing world during this pandemic can be better. I’m not used to having all this free time from being off from my day job, which has been reduced to one day a week, and so I’ve been really lagging in my writing schedule as well as my household duties. Even though because of my work status I had to ask for vacation time to practice social distancing so as not to risk having to come in everyday or getting temporarily laid off, I did so merely for the reason to practice social distancing. So instead of sleeping in so much I should be going to bed earlier rather than reading too late into the night and I should be getting up earlier to keep a good writing schedule.

I have been writing of course, but I’ve been holding it off until the late afternoon. Also, because I’ve been emphasising enhancement of my blog so much I leave myself with too little time to work on my fiction which is, ironically, the writing I enjoy doing most. So, I’m working on getting to bed earlier on my days off from my day job and getting up earlier to get a more efficient writing schedule in.

As far as more positive things happening in my world as a result of this pandemic goes, as a science fiction writer I’m getting some good ideas for stories especially when apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic fiction is so in right now! For all we know, these genres can be the fiction that these events have been fulfilling and so it may be prophecy. Not that we should have wanted them fulfilled. Maybe we should have taken them a little bit more seriously to be better prepared for this plague? I can’t say for sure since I am not a prophet (at least not that I’m aware of) and I’m definitely not God/dess. But maybe when we look back on this crisis in the history books we’ll find out that, because of (post-)apocalyptic science fiction, we were more prepared than we might have been. Sometimes we just can’t tell until the event has ended for a while and so only history can tell.

They say that all good literature and art comes out of a time of crisis. So, I’m optimistic that that will happen with the present day situation. That said, I suggest during this time to not despair or panic, yet stay healthy and wash your hands among other things to stay as clear as possible of this virus. In addition to these, write well and let this time of crisis inspire you to do so.

Today’s IWSG is brought to you by these super co-hosts: Diane Burton, JH Moncrieff, Anna @ Emaginette, Karen @ Reprobate Typewriter, Erika Beebe, and Lisa Buie-Collard! IWSG was founded by awesome author Alex Cavanaugh, writer of the Cassa Series of novels!

How are you handling the pandemic in terms of your writing?

Until next time . . . And there will be a next time!

Comments

  1. A lot of writers expressed a challenge to write with everything going on. A lot of what we've been seeing has happened in a book though. (Like The Stand.) And I'm sure there will be stories from it although it might take a while for people to be ready to read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a while, half my day consisted of simply reading the news about the virus because it's been so scary. That's true, it may be a while before anyone's ready to read stories inspired by the virus.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least better, fi