Skip to main content

Changing a Character's Name to Honor Forry Ackerman

A werewolf in a dark forest.
Credit: Pixabay


I've been behind on putting together my book of short fiction, "Bad Apps", but am seriously trying to make progress with it so I can release a collection of tales that everyone will enjoy. I've been trying to get it all done by this month and so in time for Halloween, but it’s requiring more work than I anticipated. I'm still revising one of the short stories that’s been my toughest ever and so I’ve been working on it for the last couple months. This story is in the latest stages of the revision process and so I’m almost done editing it. However, just yesterday, I changed the surname to one of my characters in honor of the late editor, Forrest J. Ackerman.


Forrest “Forry” J. Ackerman

So, who was Forrest J. Ackerman? Also known as “Forry” Ackerman, he was the editor of "Famous Monsters of Filmland" magazine, a publication that ran from the 1950s, when he started it, to the 1980s (and it would be revived by other editors after that a few times and I believe it's still going today). It was a science fiction and horror news magazine that contained articles and interviews related to both past and current science fiction, fantasy and horror cinema. 

Long before he founded “Famous Monsters”, Forry was said to have written for the first science fiction fanzine, “The Time Traveler”, and then in 1954 to have coined the shortened term of “science fiction”--“sci-fi”. He was also a literary agent for world-famous science fiction authors such as Ray Bradbury and Isaac Asimov. According to film publishing company The Criterion Collection, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and Guillermo del Toro claim to have been influenced by “Famous Monsters of Filmland”. 

I consider Forry Ackerman having been an influence on me as a writer. I used to read my uncle’s copies of "Famous Monsters" when I was a kid. Then when I got into my teens, after the magazine stopped printing, I bought a few back-issues. Today, as an adult, I read current issues of the magazine (that don't publish as frequently like they used to) whenever I can get out to one of the comic book stores in my area that sells them. And so I consider Forry’s magazine having influenced my interest in sci fi and horror which drove me to go into writing stories in and about the genres . If it wasn't for “Famous Monsters of Filmland” I may not even be writing this blog today.

Why I Changed My Character’s Name to Honor Forry

So, why did I change my character's name to honor Forry Ackerman? As you may have guessed, I had, unknowingly, gave Forry’s last name to my character, only it was a version that omits the “c” and so was spelled “Akerman”. The character, the antagonist of the story, is a villainous bigot and so I didn't want him to be associated with the science fiction/fantasy magazine editor I’ve looked up to regardless of what other people may say about him. Regardless of that, this may be a story of Ackerman's kind: it involves monstrous-looking aliens. So, I changed the character’s surname from “Akerman” to “Wright”. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out the pun on that one, especially if you put a word like "far" or “alt” in front of it. 


Author Silvia Morena-Garcia and Shapeshifters

October is the month of Halloween, of course, and so I will have some relevant topics in upcoming posts. However, it's also the month that Hispanic Heritage Month partly falls within (it begins September 15th and ends October 15th). Because of that, I thought I'd share the below link to a Tor.com article by author Silvia Moreno-Garcia about Mexican shapeshifters which she, to an extent, compares to European witches. I found it really fascinating. 

“Under the Skin: Shape-Changing in Mexican Folklore”  


For more updates on my current writing projects, such as my upcoming short story collection, "Bad Apps", sign up for my free newsletter, "Night Creature's Call". It normally comes out at the beginning of the month, but this month it may be a little late. I want to make it one of the best editions of the year and so put a little more time and effort into making it a groovy Halloween issue! 

Join me here this Wednesday evening for another Insecure Writer's Support Group blog hop. Do you have an editor or agent of a famous author who influenced your writing or love of reading?

Until next time . . .


Comments

  1. Read Famous Monsters all the time when I was younger. I don't think I have any of the magazines anymore, but I do have several t-shirts featuring the awesome covers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had one t-shirt like that when I was a kid. I don't remember a lot about it but of what I do it had an ogre-looking monster on it that I think was surrounded by bats.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least