Skip to main content

IWSG: Dropping Out of Grad School Made Me Write Seriously

The Insecure Writer's Support Group logo with a light house in the background.


It's the first Wednesday of the year but also the first Wednesday of the month. And so the latter means that it’s time for another Insecure Writer’s Support Group (IWSG) post! In an IWSG post, we writers bring our writing challenges and problems out into the open to share with each other and try to offer solutions. So, Happy New Year everyone! Although I try not to dwell on my failures or shortcomings, especially at the start of a new year, and try concentrating on the now and to look forward, I thought I should answer the IWSG question of the month which is What's the one thing about your writing career you regret the most? Were you able to overcome it? 


Before I answer the question, I want to say that when we look back on our regrets it should only be to remember not to make again the mistakes that lead to them. It should help us see how we can do things differently, to make things go by more successfully, including writing. So, when I answer this question I do so attempting to see what I can do better in the new year and what I have done better in the past year than I have in earlier ones of my writing career. Now to answer the question: I can say that I regret many of the early stories I wrote when I was in my freshman and sophomore years of college. Nearly all of them were crap. If I were to read them today after the 20-plus years since I wrote them I would become disgusted. However that 's a natural part of the writing  process and our growing as writers. 

So, what I really regret is having not taken my writing career seriously soon enough. I’m specifically talking about my fiction writing and journalism that deals with the science fiction and fantasy (particularly horror) genres. I listened to my family too much and shoved myself through grad school after having struggled to get through my undergrad studies to obtain my BA in English. For some reason, I came up with this false notion that my BA wasn't enough for me, that I'm a guy of academia and needed to go on to grad school in the same subject so I could teach it. 

So, I did that but it didn't work out so well. I was either barely passing my courses with the minimum acceptable grade of B or scoring below that. I was missing sufficient sleep each night just to get an academic paper turned in by the next day. I was finding myself forced to write to an institution’s agenda rather than to my own thoughts and beliefs. This took away time from my writing of fiction and about the topics I cared about most. I was miserable in all reality and it took me two grad programs to find out that I didn’t really want to teach for a career. 

It also took me a science fiction/fantasy writer's convention to find that out. When I went to my first full convention--and so a two-plus-day event that consisted of panels, cosplays and vendors--I met several people who were writers themselves, some who were aspiring writers and others who were simply serious fans of the genre. This culture made me realise what I really wanted to do for a living. After that, I dropped out of grad school and wrote a lot more in my genre.

Today, I’m still not writing for a living. Only for a supplement to my day job income. But in several ways my day job as library technician enhances my writing especially when it comes to scheduling and keeping on top of the writing process since my time outside of my day job is more precious than ever. But I still continue to write nevertheless, to write seriously and not just as a pass time. 


What event or events made you decide to write seriously or for a living (or semi-living)?

Today’s IWSG  is brought to you by these super co-hosts:  Erika Beebe, Olga Godim, Sandra Cox, Sarah Foster, and Chemist Ken! IWSG was founded by awesome author Alex Cavanaugh, writer of the Cassa Series of novels! 

Until next time . . .

Comments

  1. Working in a library means you are surrounded by books and that's not a bad place for a writer! Good thing you went to that con.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least