Skip to main content

IWSG: Genres I Don’t Tackle; RIP Peter Straub

Logo of the Insecure Writer's Support Group with a light house in the background.


 It's the first Wednesday of the month and so it’s time for another Insecure Writer’s Support Group (IWSG) post! In an IWSG post, we writers bring our writing challenges and problems out into the open to share with each other and try to offer solutions. I’ll be open about it right now: I’m going to keep this post short because I’m writing it at the last minute and the extreme heat wave my area has been getting has been wearing me out and so I’ve been trying to get to bed a little earlier. I don’t have time to take an afternoon siesta (nap) on the weekdays like they do in Spain and Latin America when the weather is extremely hot. In this post I’m going to stick to answering the September optional question and commemorate a famous author who unfortunately passed away recently. 


Question of the Month

The optional question for September is: What genre would be the worst one for you to tackle and why? For me there are actually two genres that I would not try writing in because they are too much of a challenge for me: romance and detective fiction. I wouldn’t bother writing romance because I never read the genre and have never had an interest in it. To try to write even just a romance short story would bore me to the point where I wouldn’t finish it. 

As much as I enjoy reading it, I wouldn’t write detective fiction because it often involves deductive reasoning. The stories are often dependent on this type of reasoning which is a reasoning that I’ve often had a hard time conveying in writing. There’s enough as it is to balance out in writing fiction such as characterization, fact checking for believability, and timing of the plot, that to write using deductive reasoning would drive me mad. 

Author Peter Straub, 1943 – 2022

I was shocked to learn only this morning that best-selling and award-winning horror author, Peter Straub, died this past Sunday. He did some collaborative fiction with Stephen King and, although I haven’t read as much of his work as I have King’s, of what I have read I thought was really good. I may have read a few short works of his but can’t remember. I read one of his newer novels, “Dark Matter”, several years ago and thought it was cleverly put together. Other than that, I only remember seeing a 1981 movie based on one of his other novels and with the same name, “Ghost Story”, which I really liked. I’d like to read the book and do a Book-To-Movie review on it sometime. Many of us horror fiction fans will miss Peter Straub but his masterful horror stories will be with us for a long time. May Mr. Straub rest in peace. 


That’s all that I have for this month’s IWSG. Look out for a post here each late-night Saturday/post-midnight Sunday for more sci fi/fantasy news and discussions here at the Fantastic Site. The exception is the weekend after an IWSG, such as this coming weekend, during which I usually take a break from the blog. But be sure to be with me the following weekend for another exciting post! Also, I just started working on the next issue of my author newsletter, “Night Creatures’ Call”, so look out for that within the next week or two. If you haven’t done so, you can sign up for this free newsletter here. In each issue you’ll find science fiction and fantasy articles, details on the progress of my latest writing projects such as my upcoming book, “Bad Apps”, discounts on books, and more! 

Today’s IWSG is brought to you by these super co-hosts: Kim Lajevardi, Cathrina Constantine, Natalie Aguirre, Olga Godim, Michelle Wallace, and Louise - Fundy Blue! IWSG was founded by awesome author Alex Cavanaugh, writer of the Cassa Series of novels! 

Have you read any of Peter Straub’s work? Do you have any genres that would be too tough for you to write in? 

Until next time . . . 



Comments

  1. I had not heard about Peter Straub! I'm only really familiar with his collabs with Stephen King, but I did know he was a long-time, successful author. May he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said, I only found out about it yesterday. He had passed away Sunday.

      Delete
  2. I didn't realize he'd died either.
    Romance was my pick.
    And sorry, this just showed up in my Feedly reader this morning. Stupid Feedly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries!

      I guess for some reason obituaries haven't been spreading enough lately (Queen Elizabeth excepted). I only learned today that Nichelle Nichols died back in July! (Star Trek fan that I am!) I just happened to come across it on some geek podcast's website.

      Delete
  3. Romance was many writers' pick in answer to this month's question. I also wouldn't write romance, as a rule, although I love reading it, or at least, I enjoy reading a few select romance writers. I have only written one romance novella in my life and posted it on wattpad. To my surprise, it is doing better than all my other stories. By now, it has acquired over 69 thousand readers. Pity, romance stories don't come to life in my brain. I would've been a much more successful author otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear your getting a big number of readers. Even if romance isn't the genre you normally write in, that novella may lead them to the genre(s) you do write in. The closest I get to writing romance is writing romantic scenes within a story of a non-romantic genre (usually science fiction or horror) if the plot calls for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It always hurts when someone we admire passes on!

    I like your post, super great for last-minute thoughts, for sure.

    I have pondered if I'd be able to write detective fiction. I'm thinking the fastest way to that road is immersing myself in those books and movies until my mind jolts into a "Hey, wait a minute, I think I *can* write this." lol

    I am pondering writing a horror romance. Haha! I do have the plot all down from start to finish, now to buckle down and write it...but I have SO many things I need to do first. Ugh!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watch some movies and read some books in those genres then give it a shot.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least