Skip to main content

The ‘Unfilmable’ of Lovecraft’s Indescribable Monsters

An illustration of a grotesque monster from H.P. Lovecraft's novella, The Dunwich Horror.
Credit: Wikimedia Commons


I’ve been watching an episode a week for the last three weeks of Guillermo Del Toro’s new Netflix horror anthology series, “Cabinet of Curiosities”. (Yes, you read that right; I only watch an episode a week and so I don’t do binge watching.) So far, the series has been really good. I first started watching the episodes in order (even though the series doesn’t have an over-arcing storyline), but only up to the second episode. That’s because I wanted to see how at least one of the two episodes based on H.P. Lovecraft stories played out. Episode five is based on the short story “Pickman’s Model”, and episode six is based on the short story “The Dreams in the Witch House”. I’ve only seen the first of these two so far and thought it mostly played out really good including the creature effects. However, an article at ScreenRant doesn’t seem to give it as much credit, nor does it give much more to episode six. The article’s author, Padraig Cotter, says the monsters are depicted in full too much. I can see where that can be a problem. It’s almost impossible to sufficiently depict Lovecraft’s monsters on screen because they’re indescribable in his stories. 


Filming the Unfilmable in a 1970s B Movie

The monsters in many of Lovecraft’s stories are said by the narrator to be so horrifying in appearance that they can’t be described. We’re only given hints to what the monster looks like. These hints leave the monsters’ appearances to our imagination. Because of this, directors of Lovecraftian horror film and television have a lot of room to come up with some really terrifying monsters and a few have done a good job of it. Del Toro is one of them. However, he probably doesn’t capture the horror of Lovecraftian monsters as well as a 1970 big screen film does, as cheesy as it’s thought be by many. That movie is American International Pictures’ (AIP) version of Lovecraft’s novella, “The Dunwich Horror”.   

AIP’s “Dunwich Horror” is the movie that I’ve, so far, seen come closest to depicting the indescribable horror of a Lovecraftian monster. It does this by showing the creature in such a way that the audience never gets a good look at it: it’s shown literally in flashes, as in strobe lighting. Similar to how characters go insane simply by seeing this monster, certain photosensitive people can go into a seizure by seeing it on the screen. 

Psychedelic Monster

The reason this monster is portrayed in near-genuine Lovecraftian horror is because of the movie’s timing. It was made in that transitional period of the late ‘60s and early ‘70s, the era of psychedelic drugs. Many of these drugs gave their users ecstatic or uplifting sensations—psychedelic trips. But there were also some that gave bad trips. Users who experienced the bad sensations would go insane, some never recovering. 

Like the uplifting trips, the bad trips influenced art in many mediums, including film. So, this nightmarish psychedelic influence on the creation of the monster in AIP’s “Dunwich Horror” is what made it so close to being indescribable like in Lovecraft’s novella. It made the unfilmable filmable. 


As much as Del Toro depicts the horror in his Lovecraftian monsters, they are not as indescribable as the creature in AIP’s “Dunwich Horror”. One of the major elements of Lovecraft’s horror stories is the total unfamiliarity of the monsters. Because they are not fully described, they are hard to depict accurately on screen. But director Daniel Haller has done this best with this movie. It’s because of the impact of psychedelic culture of the time that the indescribable, and so what has often been the unfilmable, was filmable.



Author's Newsletter

The newsletter, "Night Creatures' Call", for November will probably not be coming out until early next month. I'm going to be too busy with family in the upcoming week for the Thanksgiving holiday. I'll announce the release of the newsletter as soon as it goes out. In issues of "Night Creatures' Call" I go over the progress and behind-the-scenes of my latest fiction; I also offer exclusive discounts on books and cover other sci fi/fantasy news, info and details on events, such as the Smashwords book sale, not covered here at A Far Out Fantastic Site. If you haven’t done so yet, sign up for a free subscription


What movie adaptation of a Lovecraft story do you think depicts the monster best? 

For those of you in the US, have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Until next time . . .

Comments

  1. Ironically, I also watched the first two episodes and then skipped to Pickman's Model!
    It's been years since I saw The Dunwich Horror. I'd have to go back and see it again to really remember it.
    I thought the creatures in The Resurrected, based on The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, were quite effective and creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Resurrected, I think I've heard of it but never seen nor even knew it was based on an H.P. Lovecraft story. I'll have to check that one out.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least