Skip to main content

IWSG’S 12th Anniversary and Another, Upcoming, Anniversary

Logo of the Insecure Writer's Support Group with a light house in the background.


It's the first Wednesday of the month and so it’s time for another Insecure Writer’s Support Group (IWSG) post! In an IWSG post, we writers bring our writing challenges and problems out into the open to share with each other and try to offer solutions. To my awareness, this month of September brings us two anniversaries. First is the anniversary of the IWSG which is 12 years old today! Second, is the 10th anniversary of my first full book of short fiction, "The Fool's Illusion" which is coming up next Thursday the 14th! More about that later. For now, I'm going to help celebrate IWSG's 12-year anniversary by answering the question of the month, which is catered for that: The IWSG celebrates 12 years today! When did you discover the IWSG, how do you connect, and how has it helped you? 


My Answer to the Question of the Month

To tell the truth, I don't really remember when or how I discovered the IWSG. I probably came across it on one of the blogs that I follow. At that time, I was getting few visitations to my own blog and needed to increase its views and so I learned one of the best ways to do that was through a blog hop. IWSG’s monthly blog hop was the one that I was most familiar with and I think I was reading several posts by other bloggers, including IWSG founder Alex Cavenaugh's, and I left a comment on his blog saying that I'd like to participate but that I wasn't sure if I had the time to commit to it at the time. He was really friendly about it and invited me to join it when I felt ready too. 

Well, sooner than later I felt ready to. And so ever since that first post of mine back in March of 2019 I've been participating and have felt it to be a really awesome experience meeting and conversing with all kinds of wonderful fellow bloggers including Alex. In that way, I've made plenty of blogger friends that have helped me to keep going in the writing journey that can be a real struggle and has been for me several times. 

Upcoming 10th Anniversary of 'The Fool's Illusion'

September 14th will mark the 10th anniversary of 'The Fool's Illusion"! It will have been ten years ago from that day that I released my first book of short fiction which consists of horror, dark fantasy and science fiction. Since then, I've mostly written and published short stories individually in book format and, more recently, have been working on my next short fiction collection, “Bad Apps”.  

To celebrate 10 years of “Fool’s Illusion” I'm going to hold a free giveaway next week, possibly starting on the book’s anniversary day! It’s going to last through the end of the month, so there will be plenty of time for everyone to enter! Maybe I’ll even have a blog post of links to past posts that led up to the book's release. So, keep checking back here at the Far Out Fantastic Site and my Facebook page  for more details. 


It's great to be a part of such an awesome blog hop and group! It's like gathering as a family each time we post and comment on each other's posts. I don't see myself leaving any time soon! How has the Insecure Writer's Support Group helped you? Do you have any anniversaries of your own coming up? (e.g. For a book? A relationship? Your own blog?)

Today’s IWSG is brought to you by these super co-hosts:  Sonia Dogra, J Lenni Dorner, Pat Garcia, Sarah - The Faux Fountain Pen, and Meka James! IWSG was founded by awesome author Alex Cavanaugh, writer of the Cassa Series of novels!

Until next time . . .

Comments

  1. Hi, congratulations on your upcoming 10th anniversary of your first book, and thanks for being a part of the IWSG.
    All the best.
    Shalom shalom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your book's first anniversary! Glad you took the plunge and joined the IWSG.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's wonderful you're doing a giveaway on the anniversary of your book's release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I thought it's one of the best ways to promote/celebrate it. It's just researching all the laws and policies is what can be a pain.

      Delete
  4. Always great to celebrate a book-a-versary! Congrats! @samanthabwriter from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of the blog countdown to publishing! Congratulations on the ten year anniversary of your book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your book's 10th anniversary. Many more books to you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least