Skip to main content

2 Sci-fi Book-to-Screen Adaptations Coming in March

Illustration of a flying saucer flying above a forest at night.
Credit: Pixabay


Already we're coming to the end of February! Although that shouldn't be too surprising since it’s the shortest month of the year, even with a Leap Day this year. This will make us have to wait less for the book-to-screen science fiction adaptations coming out next month. There are two of them that I know of off-hand: "Dune: Part 2" and "3 Body Problem". 


Dune: Part 2: this movie continues from where Part 1 (titled just “Dune”) left off in 2021. The movie series is based on Frank Herbert's 1965 novel, "Dune". In this sequel, the hero, Paul Atreides, (Timothee Chalamet), who has been stranded on the desert planet Arrakis, teams with warrior Chani (Zendaya) and the planet's natives, the Fremen, to avenge his family who were killed by the Harkonnens. BBC says that this movie is psychedelic and art house. However, after seeing the latest trailer, it comes across as more art house than psychedelic to me, but then the trailer only shows you so much, of course.  It still looks really good with its panoramic sandscape scenes, epic battles and, of course, giant sandworms! "Dune: Part 2" releases in theatres March 1 (that’s this Friday!).



3 Body Problem: While "Dune: Part 2", like its prequel, was made for the big screen, "3 Body Problem" was made for just the opposite. It was made for the small screen which can be as tiny as your wrist (e.g., Apple Watch) since “3 Body” will be exclusive to Netflix. It won’t even be a full-length film but, instead, a series. (Now you know why I used “Book-to-Screen” in this post’s title and not “Book-to-Movie”!) So, when I found this out, I was really disappointed. The special visual and sound effects look to be so high in quality that this adaptation should be on the big screen. But that’s not the only problem.

The other problem is that since it's exclusive to Netflix, like some many movies and TV series on the streaming media giant, it makes people who can't afford a subscription miss out. Well, that's Netflix for you. They’re competing against the other streaming media giants such as Amazon Prime and Disney+ and so it's probably more about the money than about the movies or TV shows or the people who would like to watch them! 

Want to read the book, "The Three-Body Problem", by Cixin Liu? 

Purchase your copy at Amazon today by clicking here!

"3 Body Problem" is based on Cixin Liu’s award-winning novel, which was actually titled "The Three-Body Problem". The story is that aliens plan to invade Earth but people throughout the world are divided between welcoming them to take control of a corrupt Earth and fighting them off. "3 Body Problem" releases on Netflix March 21.




Fiction in Progress

My current book that I'm working on, "Bad Apps", is taking way longer than I thought. Instead of making everybody wait for a book of mine that’s release date is unknown at this time, I’m thinking about releasing a single short story in book format during the interim.  I'll talk more about this in my newsletter which will be coming out next month. If you haven't subscribed to it, you can do so here


Are you looking forward to either of the above book-to-screen adaptations coming out in March? Do you know of any other book-to-screen adaptations (movie or TV series) in science fiction or fantasy releasing next month?

Until next time . . .


Comments

  1. I do have Netflix, so I'll have to check it out. Funny, yesterday someone posted the top ten shows and movie streaming and not one was original content.
    We watched the first half of Dune again this past weekend in preparation for part two this Friday. Such a visual feast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I had the time to go back through part one before seeing part two but it's so long! However, that's expected because of the length of the book. I think I remember enough though to where I won't be too lost in the second movie.

      None of those top 10 were original content probably because almost every movie that's been coming out lately has been a remake!

      Delete
  2. I actually hadn't heard that 3 Body Problem was coming out, so I'll have to look that up. I think I'll be waiting for the Dune sequel to hit video.

    Also, I double checked and did not get a sign up from you for the launch, so something must have gone wrong. Sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dune: Part 2 is a really long movie (like Part 1), so I can see how some people would prefer to wait until it came out on video. I'd do that myself but, monster lover that I am, I got to see those Sandworms on the big screen! So, I'm thinking about seeing it this weekend.

      I'll try to sign up again, if it's not too late?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least