Skip to main content

Focus on Horror/Suspense Author Shirley Jackson

A photograph of author Shirley Jackson.
Credit: Wikimedia Commons

Because March is Women's History Month, I decided to do this week’s post on a female horror writer. However, before that, I wanted to make sure to read something by one. So, I went to my local library to check out a book last Friday afternoon. The book was "The Magic of Shirley Jackson" first published in 1966 and edited by her husband, Stanley Edgar Hyman. It contains several of Jackson’s short stories, (including the famous "The Lottery") and three of her novels, although only one of these is even only remotely related to horror and is actually more suspense/psychological thriller (“The Bird’s Nest”). So, if you haven't already guessed, the woman horror author I've decided to focus this post on is, surely, Shirley Jackson!


Shirley Jackson: A Brief Bio

Shirley Jackson was born December 14th, 1916 and in 1965, sadly, died an early death at 48 years old. She was a native of San Francisco ("next door" to my home region of Sacramento!) and later would relocate to the east coast, namely New York and Vermont. She became widely known for her short stories and novels in the horror, mystery and suspense genres. Among other forms of writing, she produced six novels and over 200 short stories, at least four of which were published in "The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction": "Bulletin" (1954); "An Ordinary Day, With Peanuts" (1955); "The Missing Girl" (1957); and "The Omen" (1958). Jackson’s most famous dark fiction novels are two gothic masterpieces: "The Haunting of Hill House" (1959) and "We All Live in the Castle" (1962), the former a ghost story and the latter a mystery-suspense. 

Creature Featured Link: Book-To-Movie: 'The Haunting of Hill House'  

By the way, the monthly Book-To-Movie (BTM) series of reviews, [link] where we review a work of prose fiction and its movie adaptation, is unfortunately still on hiatus. I'm still working on collecting some stories and their movie versions to review. (So far, I have two lined up to read and watch.) But I want to celebrate Women's History month by featuring my BTM of "The Haunting of Hill House" from early last year. In addition to two movie adaptations, Jackson's novel has inspired numerous haunted house stories and films up through today. So, I urge you to take a look at the BTM for the novel and the 1963 movie version both of which were very intelligently made. 


Are you reading (or even watching) anything in science fiction or fantasy for Women's History Month? Have you read anything by Shirley Jackson?

Until next time . . .


Comments

  1. Great choice! Shirley Jackson is one of my favorites. We Have Always Lived in the Castle is one I re-read every few years. If you like her domestic horror vibes, you might try Tananarive Due next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read about Tananerive Due! I might check out their work some time soon. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Hi, Steven! I just popped by to wish you a happy IWSG Day. I hope all is well for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Happy IWSG Day to you too! I've been doing okay. A little late posting for t he blog hop, as you may have noticed, but other than that I'm doing good.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least