Skip to main content

My Book Cover Illustration for 'Circa' So Far

Book Cover Art for My Upcoming Horror Short Story

I wanted to have the full outline of my book cover illustration for “Circa Sixty Years Dead” done knowing that I wasn’t going to get it painted by today. But an uncle of mine asked if I could help him clean out my grandfather’s house that he’s been renovating and, being family, I didn’t want to turn him down. I mostly cleaned out the house’s dungeon and took several things to Good Will which both put me back in the illustration a bit. The dungeon? Yeah, right! you say. Actually, it’s the nickname we give to the cellar, although sometimes I’ll call it the catacombs even though nobody’s buried down there (at least nobody we know of).

As you’ll see below, a little under half of the outline to the book cover illustration is done, but it won’t take me long to finish it and then start painting (with coloured pencil) by the end of the week. It's very light, so if you want you can look at the concept sketch to it. So I can’t say the whole thing will be completed by next weekend, but I’ll show you a photo of the progress that I will have made.


An incomplete sketch of a six arm feminine statue.
Photo and Art Credit: The blogger



Kim Stanley Robinson to Appear at Sacramento Author Festival

As I said last time,  Kim Stanley Robinson will be speaking in Sacramento at the Central Library in downtown tomorrow at noon and I’ll be attending. If you’re in the area, and you’re interested in hearing him speak about his new book, Green Earth (The Science in the Capital), you have to register ahead of time which you may still be able to do at the library’s website . If not, you can probably catch him at the Local Authors’ Festival there at the library which starts at 1. There will be authors from the Sacramento area of various genres, both fiction and non-fiction. You don’t have to register for the festival itself and it’s free like the talk before it. So check it out, and say hi if you see me there. If I don’t see you there then . . .

Until next time . . .



Here’s a set of music videos by a far out sci fi band from the 70s that I was listening to while working on my book cover art. They’re called the Rockets. They sound a lot like today’s electronica (though that term covers a very diverse area of music) and so can be said to be a band before their time, even though you’ll hear a lot of funkedelic elements in their music. You might want to check them out.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least