Skip to main content

"Prometheus" and Fiction in Process

(Photo removed for reasons of copyright.)
Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons



This has been a week with a lot of online talk on Ridley Scott's current projects: Prometheus and a second Blade Runner movie. Prometheus is, what can best be called, a "prequel" to 1979's Alien, although there are some people out there who are not calling it a prequel or sequel. The reason for that is that the movie's storyline simply takes place in the same universe that Alien takes place in. There are no characters from any of the previous Alien movies (as far as I understand), and that includes the monsters.

I was watching the trailor to it yesterday, though, and it seems to be just as intense and as terrifying as the first film. The scenes in the trailor flash by successively and the soundtrack contains that screeching melody like that of the first movie. The movie is due to release this summer. I can hardly wait!

I'm in the process of doing an article on the two upcoming films. (The Blade Runner movie is still at the planning stage so we probably won't see that release until at least another two years, is my guess.) It will probably be out at Examiner.com by Tuesday. That's right. Mardi Gras/Carnival Tuesday. Watch out for giant walking heads from other worlds. Worlds of the imagination, that is.

While I'm working on my collection of short fiction, I'm also writing new fiction which I'm actually getting ready to work on now. For the collection, I have a few more revisions to do for one story and the cover illustration to make. As far as the design of the cover itself goes, I'm going to use templates; making my own design would take too much time for this writer who is too busy with the more creative side of writing and art and who's poor mathematical skills won't allow him the patience for making his own design from scratch. As far as the illustration goes, though, I'm trying to determine the size of the cover and one of the factors in doing that is, at least I think, seeing what size sells the best. I'm sticking with paperback form because it's both affordable for me and probably for readers like yourself as well. So I've been browsing through books on Amazon that are published through its self-publishing service, Create Space.

I'll post the cover here as soon as I have it made so you people can give me your feedback on it. Better yet, I may even post a sketch first and then you can tell me what you think.

Well, I have to go work on one of my newest short stories now which I'll talk more about next time. It's a ghost story; I'll tell you that much for now.

Until next time . . .

Comments

  1. Greetings! New follower here. I came over from the Masters in Horror FB group. My oldest son is 17 and started giving me updates on this film a few months ago. Very curious to see the tie-in. He's already spoiled a few things, doing his best amateur detective work, but it should be very good. I guess we'll see.
    Take care.

    -Jimmy
    http://jamesgarciajr.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, James. Thanks for visiting and following my blog. I'm looking forward to seeing Prometheus when it comes out later this year. Though they're not calling it a prequel, I have a big feeling that it's going to provide a lot of background, considering, on the Alien movies. As you said, we'll see.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Andromeda Strain’

Credit: Pixabay.com To find out how you can read this post without ads, visit my Patreon page !   It’s time for our monthly Book-To-Movie ! For those of you who are just tuning into this blog, a Book-To-Movie is when we review a work of prose fiction and its movie adaptation. Today we are reviewing another book and film relevant to today’s pandemic: Michael Crichton’s novel, “The Andromeda Strain” and its 1971 movie adaptation. Crichton  is the writer of suspenseful science fiction, what would commonly be called today, science fiction thriller. “The Andromeda Strain” is exactly that. However, as good as this novel is, the suspense in the movie adaptation plays out better.  The Book In “The Andromeda Strain”, published in 1969, a NASA satellite returns to Earth carrying an alien virus. It lands in a small Arizona town by the name of Piedmont where the virus infects and kills everyone except an old man and an infant. A team of four scientists go to a top secret lab in Nevad...

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Lawnmower Man’

Credit: Pixabay Warning: This review may contain spoilers. In past Book-To-Movies, we’ve reviewed several movie adaptations of books and short stories by famous science fiction and horror authors. All those films have stuck to the plot of the original work to at least some recognizable degree. But this week’s Book-To-Movie will be the first to review a film that does a poor job of staying faithful to the original plot. The film is 1992’s “The Lawnmower Man” which is based on Stephen King’s short story of the same name. Even so, the movie is a really good one. So then what’s the problem? The problem is that it’s hardly an adaptation and so more its own story simply with the title of King’s short work slapped onto it.  ‘The Lawnmower Man’: The Short Story Stephen King’s “The Lawnmower Man” originally appeared in “Cavalier” magazine in 1975 and was then collected into his book of short fiction, “Night Shift” the following year. The story’s protagonist is a middle-aged husband and dad ...

Book-To-Movie: ‘Journey to the Center of the Earth’

Both the 1959 and the 2008 movies based on Jules Verne's novel, "Journey to the Center of the Earth", feature terrifying monsters such as the ones here in this illustration from an early edition of the book. Credit: Ã‰douard Riou/ Wikimedia Commons   Warning: This review may contain spoilers. As I said last post , I’ve postponed the month’s Book-To-Movie review from last week to this week. For those of you who are just tuning into this blog, a Book-To-Movie is when we review a work of prose fiction and its movie adaptation. And this weekend’s review is of Jules Verne’s novel, “Journey to the Center of the Earth” and its movie adaptations. There have been several movies based on this novel that was originally published in Paris in 1864 (as “Voyage au Centre de la Terre”). However, most of them have been either made for TV or video. Because I believe movies are best when made for the big screen, I am going to review the theatrical films in which there have been two: the 195...