Skip to main content

A Change in Font Types

About a year ago I held a poll for you readers to vote on the lettering for the title on the cover of  The Fool's Illusion. The candidates were Twisted Roman and '70s psychedelic. Twisted Roman won. I tried Twisted Roman in my final sketch for the book cover. Unfortunately, it's not going to work. As I said for the past two posts, I am not a graphic art expert. I am not very mechanical with my art and so, as you may have noticed in the previous post, the lettering on the cover is not very balanced. I could probably make a good font by my own hand if given the time. But I have several projects going. Plus I work a day job. I'm going to have to use a pre-designed font which so far I've been leaning toward leander (see below). Leander comes closest to the theme of my book of short fiction. It's a kind of faded style that goes with the idea of illusions in that many illusions are optical or are visual projections and so can easily fade away.

But for those of you that voted, please don't think your votes were wasted. They weren't. They helped me put my cover into a greater perspective and to decide what types of fonts would work and what types wouldn't. In other words, your votes and the resulting election were stepping stones to my final decision of what font to go with. And I thank you all greatly for them, regardless of what font you voted for.

I'm going to be very busy this week preparing my book for publication because, as you probably can see, I'm running very behind on it. What's really pushing me to get hussling on it though is that I'm scheduled to sell copies of it at a reading in Sacramento next month. I'll have the details for you next week.

Until then . . .


--Steven Rose, Jr.


Leander font for The Fool's Illusion book cover
Photo Credit: Steven Rose, Jr.
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Andromeda Strain’

Credit: Pixabay.com To find out how you can read this post without ads, visit my Patreon page !   It’s time for our monthly Book-To-Movie ! For those of you who are just tuning into this blog, a Book-To-Movie is when we review a work of prose fiction and its movie adaptation. Today we are reviewing another book and film relevant to today’s pandemic: Michael Crichton’s novel, “The Andromeda Strain” and its 1971 movie adaptation. Crichton  is the writer of suspenseful science fiction, what would commonly be called today, science fiction thriller. “The Andromeda Strain” is exactly that. However, as good as this novel is, the suspense in the movie adaptation plays out better.  The Book In “The Andromeda Strain”, published in 1969, a NASA satellite returns to Earth carrying an alien virus. It lands in a small Arizona town by the name of Piedmont where the virus infects and kills everyone except an old man and an infant. A team of four scientists go to a top secret lab in Nevad...

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Lawnmower Man’

Credit: Pixabay Warning: This review may contain spoilers. In past Book-To-Movies, we’ve reviewed several movie adaptations of books and short stories by famous science fiction and horror authors. All those films have stuck to the plot of the original work to at least some recognizable degree. But this week’s Book-To-Movie will be the first to review a film that does a poor job of staying faithful to the original plot. The film is 1992’s “The Lawnmower Man” which is based on Stephen King’s short story of the same name. Even so, the movie is a really good one. So then what’s the problem? The problem is that it’s hardly an adaptation and so more its own story simply with the title of King’s short work slapped onto it.  ‘The Lawnmower Man’: The Short Story Stephen King’s “The Lawnmower Man” originally appeared in “Cavalier” magazine in 1975 and was then collected into his book of short fiction, “Night Shift” the following year. The story’s protagonist is a middle-aged husband and dad ...

4 Space Opera Books That’s Heroes Will Remind You of Han Solo

Credit: Pixabay.com No doubt that there’s been some big Star Wars news this week! Friday was the 41st anniversary of the first Star Wars movie, A New Hope , and so the birthday of the entire franchise. The day before, Solo: A Star Wars Story released in theatres. I haven’t seen this new Star Wars film yet but plan to tomorrow. But in celebration of the new movie I thought it would be neat to list four of my favourite space opera books that’s central characters share the same swashbuckling, rogue archetype as the Han Solo character does. Han Solo’s archetype, or primal character-type, combines traits of the cowboy, the pirate and the wandering adventurer. Characters who have these traits are often loners of a sort, are daring and don’t let the law stop them from doing what they feel they have to. Often the legal system that they defy is one that is set up by a corrupt establishment and, in the case of space operas, that establishment is often an empire. Even tho...