Skip to main content

New Pop Culture Blog now Live and Museum Launches Sci Fi Journal

A spacecraft hovers over a few people in a desert landscape.
Photo Credit: Mike Winklemann/Museum of Science Fiction



I just launched my new pop culture blog, The Super Freek. There I’ll discuss everything in geeky (and freaky) pop culture, except reading and writing fiction. Since these last two I post about here regularly, I’m trying to focus the new blog on other forms of pop culture such as movies, TV, pop music, video games and computer technology.

Other news: last week the Museum of Science Fiction in Washington D.C. launched its Journal of Science Fiction. This publication consists of well-researched articles about the genre rather than just your typical quick review of a movie or book. It examines how the genre influences society and vice versa. And the great thing about it is that you can download the premiere issue for free! To find out how to do that, check out my article about it at Examiner.com.

It’s been a long day preparing and launching the new blog and I’m not even finished with it yet. I still have plenty of illustrations and widgets to add, so I’ll be working on doing that throughout the week. So I’m cutting this post short. I’ll be returning to my fiction writing that I put on hiatus for almost the whole week. So next post I’ll have a better idea of when I’ll be releasing my next short story and perhaps I’ll have a little more of an update on The Hidden, too.


Until then . . .  


Haven't had time to read Andy Weir's New York Times best-seller, The Martian? Consider purchasing it on audio at Amazon! Click on the image below for easiest access.





Comments

  1. Very cool! Right up my alley - will go check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Such an amazing and helpful post this is. I really really love it. It's so good and so awesome. I am just amazed. I hope that you continue to do your work like this in the future also. isaimini movies

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first visit to your web journal! We are a group of volunteers and new activities in the same specialty. Website gave us helpful data to work. Saudi Culture Attache attestation

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don’t think many of websites provide this type of information. State of Origin rugbycoverage

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work is very good and I appreciate you and hopping for some more informative posts iml academy sign up

    ReplyDelete
  6. Respect and that i have a swell present: House Renovation Canada house renovation loan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank You and that i have a dandy provide: Does Renovation Increase House Value house remodel contractors

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Andromeda Strain’

Credit: Pixabay.com To find out how you can read this post without ads, visit my Patreon page !   It’s time for our monthly Book-To-Movie ! For those of you who are just tuning into this blog, a Book-To-Movie is when we review a work of prose fiction and its movie adaptation. Today we are reviewing another book and film relevant to today’s pandemic: Michael Crichton’s novel, “The Andromeda Strain” and its 1971 movie adaptation. Crichton  is the writer of suspenseful science fiction, what would commonly be called today, science fiction thriller. “The Andromeda Strain” is exactly that. However, as good as this novel is, the suspense in the movie adaptation plays out better.  The Book In “The Andromeda Strain”, published in 1969, a NASA satellite returns to Earth carrying an alien virus. It lands in a small Arizona town by the name of Piedmont where the virus infects and kills everyone except an old man and an infant. A team of four scientists go to a top secret lab in Nevad...

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Lawnmower Man’

Credit: Pixabay Warning: This review may contain spoilers. In past Book-To-Movies, we’ve reviewed several movie adaptations of books and short stories by famous science fiction and horror authors. All those films have stuck to the plot of the original work to at least some recognizable degree. But this week’s Book-To-Movie will be the first to review a film that does a poor job of staying faithful to the original plot. The film is 1992’s “The Lawnmower Man” which is based on Stephen King’s short story of the same name. Even so, the movie is a really good one. So then what’s the problem? The problem is that it’s hardly an adaptation and so more its own story simply with the title of King’s short work slapped onto it.  ‘The Lawnmower Man’: The Short Story Stephen King’s “The Lawnmower Man” originally appeared in “Cavalier” magazine in 1975 and was then collected into his book of short fiction, “Night Shift” the following year. The story’s protagonist is a middle-aged husband and dad ...

Book-To-Movie: ‘Journey to the Center of the Earth’

Both the 1959 and the 2008 movies based on Jules Verne's novel, "Journey to the Center of the Earth", feature terrifying monsters such as the ones here in this illustration from an early edition of the book. Credit: Ã‰douard Riou/ Wikimedia Commons   Warning: This review may contain spoilers. As I said last post , I’ve postponed the month’s Book-To-Movie review from last week to this week. For those of you who are just tuning into this blog, a Book-To-Movie is when we review a work of prose fiction and its movie adaptation. And this weekend’s review is of Jules Verne’s novel, “Journey to the Center of the Earth” and its movie adaptations. There have been several movies based on this novel that was originally published in Paris in 1864 (as “Voyage au Centre de la Terre”). However, most of them have been either made for TV or video. Because I believe movies are best when made for the big screen, I am going to review the theatrical films in which there have been two: the 195...