Skip to main content

Alien Easter Eggs, New Life and New Stories

Three aliens standing on a beach and two flying saucers and an egg shaped planet in the background.
Credit: Pixabay.com





One of the funniest Easter moments was when I was six and painted an egg to look like the title character of the movie, Phantom of the Paradise (the ‘70s rock version of Phantom of the Opera). When my family had the Easter egg hunt for us, a cousin of mine, who seemed to always find the most eggs out of all us kids, found the egg I painted. I got mad at her because I wanted to find it first, so I yanked at her basket and shouted, “Give me that! That’s mine! That’s my ‘Phantom’ egg!” My parents stopped me from snagging it, though, thank God! That egg must’ve been my first geeky Easter egg before I even new what a nerd or geek. Unfortunately, no one took a picture of it so I can’t show it to you. But one of the sci fi “Easter Egg” articles in the list I’ve provided below has a photo gallery of some very groovy and geeky eggs!

The egg in both Christian and Pagan cultures has traditionally represented new life. But, in a way, it’s beginning to represent new movies, at least in the term “Easter egg”. The two newest sci fi flicks, Pacific Rim: Uprising and Ready Player One, contain plenty of hidden references and cameos, both known as “Easter eggs”, which are the subjects of the other two articles listed.




A cartoon of a one-eyed, egg-shaped alien head with the narrow end on top.
Credit: Pixabay.com


A List of Geekster Egg Articles


Ready PlayerOne: The Complete Easter Egg Guide” by Andrew Dyce, Screenrant.com: I haven’t seen the movie yet nor read the book by Earnest Cline. I’ll be sure to see the former, but I’m not sure about reading the latter since it’s over 500 pages and I normally don’t have the attention span for a novel that runs that many pages or more. But if the movie really impresses me (which, based on the trailers I’ve seen and what I’ve read about it, it’s already doing that) I may just tough out the long read. The fascinating thing about this movie is not just the other-worldliness of the VR world called the Oasis, but the big number of Easter eggs it contains. According to this article at Screen Rant, that number is more than 100! Screen Rant even mentions the possibility that the number “could rise into the thousands” since they admit they may not have counted all the eggs. With a possible 100+ number, it makes a person think this movie is perhaps the first blockbuster mashup. So this guide was a clever idea.

9 Easter EggsIn Pacific Rim Uprising” by Blair Marnell, Nerdist.com: When I started writing this post earlier this afternoon, I didn’t dare read this article because it’s full of spoilers and I hadn’t seen the movie yet. Now that I just got back from seeing the movie I was able to read the article without a problem. And the flick was a way better than most critics have been saying it is. But I have to admit that I didn’t find any Easter eggs in it but that was probably due to me and not the Nerdist’s article. First of all, it’s been several years since I’ve seen the first movie. Second of all, I’m not as robotics nerdy as I thought I was, as much as I love robots. If you haven’t seen the sequel yet, then you may want to wait and then compare what you’ve seen to what the article lists, and not just to make the egg hunt more fun.

12 Sets ofSci-Fi-Themed Eggs That’ll Make Your Easter A Geeky One” by Carol Penchefsky, SyFy.com: The above two articles talk about figurative Easter eggs in movies. This article talks about literal Easter eggs that depict characters from movies! And from TV shows and comic books! This is the article that features a photo gallery of these eggs. Many of these are so beautifully painted and creative that you wouldn’t want to eat them, especially the Alien egg (which you probably wouldn’t want to eat to begin with if you’ve seen any of the movies).

New Life, New Story


If Easter eggs represent new life and even new movies in certain cases, maybe they can represent new fiction? I’ve been working on a new short story this past week that I’ve been struggling to find an ending to. And so my goal is to find that ending tonight which I think I already have, I just have to write it out. I won’t go into the details of the story yet but I’ll tell you this much: It’s a retelling of an Edgar Allen Poe story.


So, what’s the strangest or nerdiest Easter egg, literal or reference in a movie, you’ve seen?

Happy Geekster and until next time . . . !


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least better, fi