Skip to main content

Do Authors Read Their Own Published Work?


Of course authors have to read their own work in order to revise it. But do they read their own work after it’s been published? To put it another way, do they become one of their readers? Maybe they do, maybe they don’t. However, I’m one that doesn’t. I may have only read one of my published stories once and that was probably the first fiction work I published. It’s entitled “Strange Phenomena” which now appears in my short fiction collection, The Fool’s Illusion. Before that, I published it in an anthology of myth themed stories and poems, called Leafkin, Volume 2, which is unfortunately out of print. If I read it in that anthology, if I’m remembering correctly, that’s because I wanted to see how it read in its published format. Since then, I haven’t had time to read my own work post-publication.

In my experience, by the time your story gets published you know it too well to where you don’t want to read it anymore. After the numerous revisions you’ve gone through on a single story, you want to just move on to writing the next one. You nearly know the characters by heart; you are tired of reading their verbal and gestural responses to each other and to situations to the point where they sound phony after you’ve done so much just to make it sound the opposite. Not to mention, you notice all the story’s shortcomings (the few that may had been left behind in the revision process). While this may be a good thing so you can avoid those mistakes when writing your next story, noting them is what book critics, both pro and consumer (such as Amazon customer reviewers) are for.

I was reading a New York Times article the other day that interviewed Steven Spielberg, director of the upcoming film, Ready Player One. He says in the article that he never watches his films after they’ve been made, regardless of their level of success. He says he’s too busy to “look back a lot” and so simply moves on to making the next movie. It’s very true that we should learn from our mistakes and let our successes encourage us to not only move on to attempting more successes but to even better ones. So an author should remember the mistakes of past stories to avoid them in future ones but not put him or herself down over them. When they do that they only set themselves up for failure the next time around and so discouragement from writing more stories.

I’ve had a lot of stories fail and so were never published. When I look back, I think to myself that if I were an editor I probably would toss them in the garbage by the third sentence of each. There have been times when I’ve resented them so much that I wanted to burn them. But my poorest, most rotten of writing is what got me to better writing today. In a certain sense, an author has to fail to succeed. So if one story or book you wrote does bad as reflected in critics’ comments, or low sales, whatever, you simply learn what you did wrong and then go on to the next story or book and make it better.

It may help some authors to read their work after it’s been published so they can do better in their next writing project. But, whatever an author does, the most important thing is to write the next story. It’s the only way you will get better at writing stories, by continuing to write them.

Fellow authors, do you read your stories after they’ve been published? Readers, do you know whether any of your favourite authors do this? If so, which ones?

Until next time . . .



A four-eyed alien humanoid grins while a man walks from a landed rocket.
Credit: Wikimedia Commons



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least