Skip to main content

Do Authors Read Their Own Published Work?


Of course authors have to read their own work in order to revise it. But do they read their own work after it’s been published? To put it another way, do they become one of their readers? Maybe they do, maybe they don’t. However, I’m one that doesn’t. I may have only read one of my published stories once and that was probably the first fiction work I published. It’s entitled “Strange Phenomena” which now appears in my short fiction collection, The Fool’s Illusion. Before that, I published it in an anthology of myth themed stories and poems, called Leafkin, Volume 2, which is unfortunately out of print. If I read it in that anthology, if I’m remembering correctly, that’s because I wanted to see how it read in its published format. Since then, I haven’t had time to read my own work post-publication.

In my experience, by the time your story gets published you know it too well to where you don’t want to read it anymore. After the numerous revisions you’ve gone through on a single story, you want to just move on to writing the next one. You nearly know the characters by heart; you are tired of reading their verbal and gestural responses to each other and to situations to the point where they sound phony after you’ve done so much just to make it sound the opposite. Not to mention, you notice all the story’s shortcomings (the few that may had been left behind in the revision process). While this may be a good thing so you can avoid those mistakes when writing your next story, noting them is what book critics, both pro and consumer (such as Amazon customer reviewers) are for.

I was reading a New York Times article the other day that interviewed Steven Spielberg, director of the upcoming film, Ready Player One. He says in the article that he never watches his films after they’ve been made, regardless of their level of success. He says he’s too busy to “look back a lot” and so simply moves on to making the next movie. It’s very true that we should learn from our mistakes and let our successes encourage us to not only move on to attempting more successes but to even better ones. So an author should remember the mistakes of past stories to avoid them in future ones but not put him or herself down over them. When they do that they only set themselves up for failure the next time around and so discouragement from writing more stories.

I’ve had a lot of stories fail and so were never published. When I look back, I think to myself that if I were an editor I probably would toss them in the garbage by the third sentence of each. There have been times when I’ve resented them so much that I wanted to burn them. But my poorest, most rotten of writing is what got me to better writing today. In a certain sense, an author has to fail to succeed. So if one story or book you wrote does bad as reflected in critics’ comments, or low sales, whatever, you simply learn what you did wrong and then go on to the next story or book and make it better.

It may help some authors to read their work after it’s been published so they can do better in their next writing project. But, whatever an author does, the most important thing is to write the next story. It’s the only way you will get better at writing stories, by continuing to write them.

Fellow authors, do you read your stories after they’ve been published? Readers, do you know whether any of your favourite authors do this? If so, which ones?

Until next time . . .



A four-eyed alien humanoid grins while a man walks from a landed rocket.
Credit: Wikimedia Commons



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Andromeda Strain’

Credit: Pixabay.com To find out how you can read this post without ads, visit my Patreon page !   It’s time for our monthly Book-To-Movie ! For those of you who are just tuning into this blog, a Book-To-Movie is when we review a work of prose fiction and its movie adaptation. Today we are reviewing another book and film relevant to today’s pandemic: Michael Crichton’s novel, “The Andromeda Strain” and its 1971 movie adaptation. Crichton  is the writer of suspenseful science fiction, what would commonly be called today, science fiction thriller. “The Andromeda Strain” is exactly that. However, as good as this novel is, the suspense in the movie adaptation plays out better.  The Book In “The Andromeda Strain”, published in 1969, a NASA satellite returns to Earth carrying an alien virus. It lands in a small Arizona town by the name of Piedmont where the virus infects and kills everyone except an old man and an infant. A team of four scientists go to a top secret lab in Nevad...

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Lawnmower Man’

Credit: Pixabay Warning: This review may contain spoilers. In past Book-To-Movies, we’ve reviewed several movie adaptations of books and short stories by famous science fiction and horror authors. All those films have stuck to the plot of the original work to at least some recognizable degree. But this week’s Book-To-Movie will be the first to review a film that does a poor job of staying faithful to the original plot. The film is 1992’s “The Lawnmower Man” which is based on Stephen King’s short story of the same name. Even so, the movie is a really good one. So then what’s the problem? The problem is that it’s hardly an adaptation and so more its own story simply with the title of King’s short work slapped onto it.  ‘The Lawnmower Man’: The Short Story Stephen King’s “The Lawnmower Man” originally appeared in “Cavalier” magazine in 1975 and was then collected into his book of short fiction, “Night Shift” the following year. The story’s protagonist is a middle-aged husband and dad ...

Book-To-Movie: ‘Journey to the Center of the Earth’

Both the 1959 and the 2008 movies based on Jules Verne's novel, "Journey to the Center of the Earth", feature terrifying monsters such as the ones here in this illustration from an early edition of the book. Credit: Ã‰douard Riou/ Wikimedia Commons   Warning: This review may contain spoilers. As I said last post , I’ve postponed the month’s Book-To-Movie review from last week to this week. For those of you who are just tuning into this blog, a Book-To-Movie is when we review a work of prose fiction and its movie adaptation. And this weekend’s review is of Jules Verne’s novel, “Journey to the Center of the Earth” and its movie adaptations. There have been several movies based on this novel that was originally published in Paris in 1864 (as “Voyage au Centre de la Terre”). However, most of them have been either made for TV or video. Because I believe movies are best when made for the big screen, I am going to review the theatrical films in which there have been two: the 195...