Skip to main content

Harlan Ellison: 1934 – 2018

Author Harlan Ellison.
Credit: Wikipedia



I apologise for not posting in the last two weeks. I’ve been very busy, including attending a wedding last weekend. The weekend before that I attended Sinister Creature Con. I believe I said on my Facebook page that there would be a post about it here this weekend, but there’s been a change of plans. That change came when I found out that another one of my favourite science fiction and fantasy writers, Harlan Ellison, passed away in his sleep this Thursday.


In the Presence of One of the Greatest Science Fiction Writers


I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Ellison at the Los Angeles World Con back in 2006. I was hoping he would be at World Con in San Jose this year but it looks like that’s not going to happen. I was going through my Facebook feed inside the Taco Bell near my house when I learned the shocking news from a post announcing that he died. One of those days I fear most for great authors of speculative fiction, especially ones who are up there in age like Harlan was and Ray Bradbury had been. These are authors I admire so much both in their work and character that I want them to be immortal on this earth but know that is unrealistic.

Back in 2006 at the L.A. World Con, I stood in Mr. Ellison’s presence at his author signing table with my vintage paperback copy of his Ellison Wonderland. I nearly trembled. It was as if I were standing in the presence of a god. This was partly because I knew how seemingly bad tempered Harlan could be. But I also knew he was one of the greatest fantasy and science fiction writers, one of the greatest writers period. His good work spanned genre like Ray Bradbury’s. It was a pleasure to shake his hand when I handed him my copy of his book to sign and told him how much I admired his writing and that it had inspired my own. Looking impressed, he asked if I had published anything. I said I had. Then he asked if I was paid for any of it. I told him I hadn’t published for payment yet but will soon. That’s when he gave me some of the best advice a new or aspiring writer can get. He said, “Make them give you money. That’s how you will be acknowledged as a professional.” Or something like that, but that was the idea.


Writing for Pay


Since then, I almost always made sure I was paid for my writing. Not including my blog, I don’t write for free anymore. If you like your work that much and take it that seriously, you will find a way to get paid for it. When you are putting your heart and soul into your work, perfecting it day in and day out or (for those of us who have day jobs) night in and night out, you deserve to be paid because you are making sacrifices like you are at any other job the only difference is that you enjoy doing it. But it’s time, effort and energy you’re putting into it nevertheless. Time that you can be putting into hanging out with friends, going on a date, traveling, having sex, etc. So you deserve payment for that time you’re giving up. It’s no one writer’s fault that our nation’s economy is a capitalist one. It’s a writer’s fault if he or she doesn’t demand the payment that this economy says we’re supposed to get for hard work. If we as writers think our writing can only be accepted if we give it away, we’re robbing ourselves.

Harlan Ellison talks in more detail about paying the writer in a segment from his movie,Dreams With Sharp Teeth, and he puts it out there very clearly. In fact, very bluntly.


The Attitude ‘That Shouted At the Heart of the World’


It was because Harlan’s blunt personality that many people complained he had an attitude problem. While I agree with them that he did have one, I think he didn’t mean personal harm by a lot of it. I think what was behind much of Harlan’s boisterous personality was his eagerness to wake the world up to it’s mistakes. The only way it would is if someone gave it a rude awakening like he did. (Yet much of it still hasn’t awaken.) I don’t blame him too much for doing so. I myself have known, ever since high school, that this world—let alone our nation (look who we have for a president)--has a lot of really stupid people in it. People who won’t get out of their pre-programmed way of thinking, a way of thinking that comes from popular opinion especially that which is generated through our commercial institutions, our profit-driven media and politically-driven religion.

So somebody has to shout “at the heart of the world” (a wordplay on the title of his 1968 Hugo Award-winning short story, “The Beast Who Shouted Love At the Heart of the World”). It has to be done to make the world realise that it has to change for the good of all people. And Harlan Ellison was one of the writers who did that best. I think it’s the job of all writers to do that whether it’s bluntly, as in Harlan’s case, or more metaphorically. When done in the latter way, it can create some really good, terrifying monsters in your fiction. And Harlan made some of the best in his while still speaking his mind.

R.I.P. Harlan

And until next time . . . 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least