Skip to main content

Sci Fi Summer Reading List for 2018

Surreal: A small woman jumps into a pool in an open book.
Dive Into Some Good Sci Fi Summer Reading!
Credit: Pixabay.com




You’ll soon open your front door to what feel’s like a gust of dragon’s breath. But they’re actually rays from space. No, not a U.F.O.’s rays but our own sun’s. It’s that time of year again when a lot of us want to hit the pools, beaches or AC’d movie theatres. But sometimes you may want something to read in between those laps or rounds of surfing the waves as you lie back to dry off from that chlorinated or naturally salted water. Or when you’re in town with two hours to kill before the showing of that sci fi blockbuster. So during in-between times like these, why not utilise the wait by reading a best-selling or should-be best-selling sci fi book? But you maybe feel like you’ve read everything you wanted to. Well, if you’re wondering what to read this summer in science fiction, maybe the list below of what I plan to read will help get you started. And if you can add to it, please do in the comments box below. The more suggestions the better variety and choices we’ll all have!


My Sci Fi Summer Reading List


Annihilation, Jeff Vandermeer: A chilling story about a female group of scientists who explore a secluded region of the continent where several expeditionists before them mysteriously died. This is the first book of the Southern Reach Trilogy.

The Tarzan Series, Edgar Rice Burroughs: I have an incomplete collection of the books. I’ve read the first and second ones, Tarzan of the Apes and The Return of Tarzan, but I don’t have the third which is The Beasts of Tarzan. The one that I have next in the series is the 7th, Tarzan the Untamed. I normally like to collect the older editions, especially from the 70s because of cover art by great artists such as Neal Adams and Boris Vallejo. But if I can’t find a copy with their or some other great artist’s work, I’m okay with skipping over to Book 7 and going back later.

Jurassaic Park, Michael Crichton: With the latest sequel coming out this month, it’s time that I read this book that started the whole movie franchise. I may even do a Book-To-Movie review of it, but to do that I’ll have to refresh myself on the first movie which I haven’t seen since it released back in the ‘90s!

The Three-Body Problem, Cixin Liu: I haven’t read a good “old” new alien invasion story in a long time. This one was a Hugo Award winner so it can’t be too formulaic as many alien invasion stories tend to be.



Until next time . . .


A cartoon shark swims over an underwater mound.
Sink your teeth into some good sci fi summer reading!
Credit: Pixabay.com


Comments

  1. You'll blaze through Jurassic Park in a hurry. I am a very slow reader but it only took me a couple days to read it because the story was so riveting. Shame the movie didn't have room for more of the compy scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that since I'm a slow reader myself! I may just be a able to read it and watch the first movie before seeing the new sequel when it comes out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool.
    Im a loser.
    You're a freek.
    We'll have a fabulous time
    in Seventh-Heaven someday.
    Cya...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least better, fi