Skip to main content

2019 TV / Movie Adaptations of Sci fi and Fantasy Books

The number 2019 against a starry or outer space background.
Credit: Pixabay.com




Happy New Year, everybody! Sorry for missing last week but I was burning out from both writing and my day job so much that I needed that break. But here I am again. In the last post I said that I will have more Book-To-Movie reviews and previews in 2019. Well, 2019 offers some interesting, if not all particularly good, TV series and movies based on sci fi and fantasy books. So I made a couple of lists: one for TV adaptations and the other for movie adaptations.


2019 TV Series Adapted from Books


I have not read any of the books that the TV series listed below are based on. With the exception of one of these, I don’t plan on reading any soon in time to watch the TV series mainly because many of them are in the horror genre and I’m not a big fan of horror TV series. I’ve noticed that many horror TV series--unlike most movies in the genre--that are based on novels, especially gothic horror, tend to go too much the way of the soap opera almost losing their horror element. However, because TV shows based on novels are the big trend in sci fi and fantasy now and because there are probably many of you out there that like watching them, I’m listing the ones due for release this year. In each item on the list, I’ve included the author of the book that the series is based on, the premiere date and the channel or streaming service (in that order). I haven’t included synopses since most of these books I’m not familiar with. To find out the plot to these, visit Amazon or IMDB.com. The latter is especially a great source to look at when you want to find out the plot to a movie or TV show.

A Discovery of Witches: novel by Deborah Harkness, premieres (U.S.) 17 January on Sundance Now and Shudder: This is the exception that I mentioned above. It’s one of the biggest best-selling books of the speculative genre out there so I’ve been meaning to read it for a while. However, I know I’m not going to read it in time for the series premiere. Which is okay because I don’t get Sundance Now or Shudder anyway! So that gives me plenty of time to read this dark fantasy/horror novel before the series makes it to DVD doesn’t it?

The Passage: novel by Justin Cronin, premieres 21 January, Fox

The Rook: by Daniel O’Malley, premieres in spring (date unknown), Starz

NOS4A2: by Joe Hill, premieres 30 April, AMC: I haven’t read any of the novels by Hill, son of Stephen King, but I’ve read his book of short stories, 20th Century Ghosts, in which he has a lot of really good ones in there. NOS4A2 the novel is holiday horror, in which I mostly don’t read this subgenre unless it’s Charles Dickens or the holiday theme is slight. But if you’re a big fan of Joe Hill’s work you may like this series.

2019 Movies Adapted from Books


Too tell the truth, I haven’t read any of the books that these upcoming films are based on either. Maybe I should add these to my reading list for 2019? But even if I don’t get around to reading them, there will still be plenty of Book-To-Movies coming for films from other years.

The Visible Filth: novel by Nathan Ballingrud, directed by Babak Anvari, premieres 26 January

Chaos Walking (book’s title: The Knife of Never letting Go): by Patrick Ness, directed by Doug Liman, premieres 1 March

Pet Semetary: by Stephen King, directed by Kevin Kolsch and Dennis Widmyer, premieres 5 April

Artemis Fowl: by Eoin Colfer, directed by Kenneth Branagh, premieres 9 August

It: Chapter Two: by Stephen King (original novel first movie is based on), directed by Muschietti, premieres 6 September



Maybe I’ll have a list of what I plan to read and watch in 2019 in next week’s post. So are you planning on watching any of the above movies or TV series when they release? Have you read or do you plan on reading the books they are based on? Are you making a reading or viewing list for 2019?

Until next time . . .







Comments

  1. Several I'd never heard of until the show was announced. Little leery of Pet Sematary since the first movie was not good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never saw the first movie but it didn't appeal to me that much to begin with. I got the impression it was over-rated. I saw the big screen version of It and liked it. I'm skeptical of the sequel, though, since most of Stephen King's movies don't have sequels. So I get the feeling it may go too far off from the storyline of the novel. But who can really say? It will be interesting to see how these two movies (Pet Semetary and IT: Chapter Two) do at the box office.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least