Skip to main content

Greatest Moments In Sci fi and Fantasy of 2018


Two steampunkers and a miniature dragon sit among a stack of books with a clock looming in the background.
Credit: Pixabay.com




Well, we’re coming to the end of 2018. As with any year, we get both the good moments and not-so-good moments. Still, the not-so-good moments often have a valuable impact on our lives. So I decided to list the greatest moments of this year. “Greatest” is defined here not so much as good or joyful as it is significantly impacting. Sometimes the events we don’t wish to see help us see the good ones better. We love it when we make accomplishments, publish a story we wrote, read a story we really enjoyed, or see a movie that we really liked. We don’t love it so much when we lose something or someone important to us. Sadly, 2018 saw the passing away of my maternal grandfather, God rest his soul. But that sad moment also made me and my family remember some of the best times we had with him.

In the community of science fiction and fantasy, 2018 saw the passing away of some of the best creators in the genre. Even though those are moments we don’t like to think about before they occur, they do eventually occur. We don’t like those moments to come because we know how great these creators were in their work which we got some kind of joy out of looking at. So, I actually made two lists for this last post of the year. One is a list of the best moments of 2018, moments we actually enjoy and will invite almost anytime. The other is a list of three of the best sci fi and fantasy authors we lost during the year. This last list is dedicated to those authors to show my appreciation of their work and vision and the joy and comfort it brought me, a joy and comfort that helped me to come to terms with all the problems and challenges I’ve faced in my own personal life which great storytelling helps us do.


The Best Moments of the Year In Sci fi and Fantasy


Frankenstein’s 200th Anniversary: Mary Shelley’s greatest work turned 200 years old back at the beginning of the year. That was 200 years of influence on science and popular culture, for better or for worse.

The Black Panther movie: February saw the release of the film adaptation of the Black Panther comic book series. The movie became the highest grossing one directed by an African-American and that starred a Black super hero. It also helped bring African culture further into the mainstream of science fiction and fantasy. (Please Note: If you go to the link above and read the post that talks about the movie, there is an error. The post says that the movie released in March. It actually released in February. I don’t know what the hell was going through my head when I wrote that post. My apologies.)

“Book-To-Movie” premieres at A Far Out Fantastic Site: 2018 also saw the premiere of my series of previews and reviews of movies adapted from books. In many of these, I review a movie based on a book and compare the two. Expect to see many more Book-To-Movie posts in 2019!

The blogger watches The Exorcist for the first time: Why did a horror author like myself wait so long to see, what has been known to be, the scariest movie of all time? Go to the above link to find out.



“The Boo Brothers” book releases: This was my third book that got published. Expect many more to come.



Sci fi and Fantasy Authors We Lost In 2018




Stan Lee--Writer, Founder and Editor of Marvel Comics


Next time I’m going to try to talk about a new year’s resolution that can be useful to all of us. So, what were your best or most important moments of 2018?

See you next year! (Which is next week, of course!)






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least