Skip to main content

George R.R. Martin and Mixing Sci fi with Horror


An alien spaceship flies through space.
Credit: Pixabay.com



I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and are looking forward to the holidays. Me? I had a great, but very busy Thanksgiving with the family and so had to skip a weekend of posting. As far as the holidays go--I’m getting there. What I’m looking forward to right now, though, is the new science fiction-horror series that premieres this Sunday night on the SyFy channel, Nightflyers!


George R.R. Martin’s Nightflyers


Nightflyers is based on a novella by Game of Thrones author George R.R. Martin. According to the LA Times, he novella actually had two versions, the shorter version which was published in 1980 and an expanded version published three years later. Then in 1987 a movie based on it came out but, because it got so scant of an audience, it fell into oblivion. It fell into oblivion to everybody except those who are into B-rated and cult films such as myself although I haven’t seen this one. Neither have I read either version of the novella. In fact, tomorrow’s TV adaptation will be my first time experiencing anything by Martin. So, no, I have not even read or seen Game of Thrones. I’m not a big high fantasy (or sword-and-sorcery as some call it) fan, although I will read it and watch it now and then. But I haven’t covered that genre like I have science fiction and horror.

Martin’s novella combines science fiction and horror. In a Los Angeles Times interview, Martin even defends the mixing of these two genres when he speaks about his response to a critic’s comment: “Around 1978 or ’79 I was reading some science fiction criticism by a writer doing history of the genre, but he put forward the theory that science fiction and horror were opposites — they were fundamentally incompatible, you couldn’t blend them. And when I read that I said, ‘Well! I’ll see about that.’ . . . ‘Nightflyers’ was one of those that came out of the ’70s and early ’80s when I was on that kick.” And so his science fiction-horror novella came out of that argument, an argument I totally support.

However, another novella of his was also inspired by this argument: Sandkings. Martin says in an article at The Verge, that the success of of this science fiction-horror bookinspired him to keep blending SF and horror . . .” The article also says that, in response to the upcoming Nightflyers series, Hulu is streaming a film adaptation of Sandkings. It’s actually a pilot episode for the 1990s revival of the 1960s Outer Limits TVseries which often mixed horror with sci fi.


Why Science Fiction and Horror Mix So Well


So what makes science fiction and horror mix so well? For one thing, they both deal with the unknown. Many people fear the unknown in which, needless to say, fear makes horror. In horror fiction, the unknown traditionally is supernatural: vampires, werewolves, witchcraft, ghosts, etc.

In science fiction, on the other hand, the unknown is natural or technological phenomena: outer space, genetic mutations or engineering, robots, aliens, among others. The science in sci fi is often futuristic or new discovery and so society is unsure of its future impact. But the best example I like is outer space. Starting in the 1950s, many science fiction-horror movies were set in space because it’s been the most unexplored territory in history. Anything can happen out in the cosmos. Like the setting in a lot of gothic horror, space is dark, abysmal, forbidding and even cold. Compare that to an old, dark house in a supernatural horror story (and remember, space, at least by human standards, is pretty damn old)! Like anything can be lurking in a huge, dark house so can anything be lurking in deep, dark, unexplored space. Hence, you’ve gotten movies such as It Came from Outer Space in the 1950s, Alien in the ‘70s and perhaps the TV series adaptation of Martin’s Nightflyers will be a reminder of just how horrifying space and unexplored science can really be.

But another element that space provides in science fiction like dark settings provide in horror is isolation. Martin says in the above L.A. Times interview, “Space is an incredible setting for a horror story because you are isolated.” In much horror there is a sense of psychological isolation if not physical. Often the haunted house is isolated in a far off setting such as the mountains or a remote countryside. But as victims die off, the surviving characters feel isolated and more vulnerable. In science fiction, space is isolating because a spaceship, regardless of its size, is infinitely dwarfed by it and this effects the psychology of the crew in which the result is often madness. Because Nightflyers involves such elements and themes, it can be considered the mixed genre of science fiction-horror.



Nightflyers premieres Sunday night, Dec. 2, on SyFy. And if you can’t wait until then, watch Sandkings which is now streaming at Hulu! Do you plan to watch Nightflyers? Have you read the novella or seen the 1980s movie? Feel free to leave your answers in the box below!

Until next time . . .







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least