Skip to main content

Holiday Season Post-Apocalyptic Sci fi On the Big Screen



A post-apocalyptic landscape with a speed rail track and a planet looming in the background.
Credit: Pixabay.com


Most of us have our childhood memories of sitting in a warm, dark movie theater on a cold weekend afternoon during the holiday season, watching a movie that really impressed us. One of the memories that stand out most for me was when I saw Star Trek the Motion Picture when it released during the Christmas season of 1979. I hated it. But still, it impressed me with it’s cinematography and special effects likened to those of Star Wars, the movie that Motion Pictures producers were competing with during that space opera craze. I would come to actually like this film several years later, especially when I got into my Star Trek fan phase in high school. In fact, and I don’t care if anyone attempts to stone me for it, it’s my favourite of the Star Trek movies for reasons that I’m not going to go into here. But perhaps, one very tiny reason is nostalgia. And for the past three holiday seasons we’ve had Star Wars films releasing which will probably be memorable to many kids when they get older. However, this holiday season the flick that a kid just might get a childhood memory from when he or she grows up may be the new post-apocalyptic sci fi movie--Mortal Engines.

I haven’t seen Mortal Engines myself yet but am going to try this weekend. That’s regardless of, like with Star Trek the Motion Picture more than 30 years ago, critics saying that it’s a flop. But those can mostly be general film critics for all we know. Us sci fi/fantasy nerds often have different, more open-minded, standards when it comes to judging films of our genre. I can’t yet say exactly why this movie is that great but of what I’ve seen in the trailers the cinematography is far out fantastic! The movie’s based on Philip Reeve’s YA book of the same name. It’s directed by Peter Jackson, director of the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit films. As in the original book, the story is set on a post-apocalyptic earth in the distant future when society has regressed back to diesel industrial age technology and cities are on the go—literally. They are mobile and so travel on tracks similar to railroads. One of these cities is preying on and destroying whatever is in it’s path and a group of young rebels attempts to stop it.

Usually I try to look at both reviews that give a movie a bad rating and ones that give it a good rating. Then I decide whether the movie’s worth paying 8 to 10 bucks to see on the big screen. The reviews that give Mortal Engines a bad rating are definitely easy to find. Just go to Rotten Tomatoes, that gave it an overall “rotten” rating, and look at its list of review links. But if you want a critic’s opinion about why this movie may be so good, an opinion that is well thought out and supported by referencing scenes and details from the film and book, I recommend reading Mike Perschon’s review at his blog, the Steampunk Scholar

If Mortal Engines doesn’t turn out to be that good of a film that at least a science fiction critic can give a good rating, and so if it truly is a flop rather than a movie among the many underrated sci fi movies, maybe something good about it will stay in our heads to remember this holiday season by. Even if that something is only the cinematography and special effects.

Is Mortal Engines a movie you’re willing to give a try this holiday season?


Until next time . . .


An elongated, multi-eyed, tentacled monster.
Credit: Pixabay.com





Comments

  1. We thought about seeing it last weekend but opted for the new Spider-Man film instead. Wise choice - one of the best films I've seen all year. (I reviewed it today.)
    The first Star Trek was rather awful, although the fifth one might challenge it for the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would maybe go see the mew SM movie but I believe they're based on many of the newer Spidey super heroes? And I haven't read any of their comics. The fifth ST was the worst I've seen. I haven't watched it since it released in theaters back in 1989 (I believe it was?) and I don't plan to waste my time with it again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least