Skip to main content

Having Trouble Staying Motivated Revising Your Story? Alienate It


A badge of The Insecure Writer's Support Group depicting a lighthouse in the background.



Welcome to another post of the Insecure Writer’s Support Group (IWSG), a network of bloggers who post every first Wednesday of the month about problems in writing and how to solve them. It was founded by blogger/author Alex Cavanaugh. This month it is co-hosted by Lee Lowery, Juneta Key, Yvonne Ventresca, and T. Powell Coltrin. This month’s IWSG writing problem that I’ll discuss here at the Far Out Fantastic Site is how to stay motivated with revising your story.

Even though I’ll read them, I was never a big fan of writing long works of fiction. I am more of a short story writer. However, my current novella, titled Invasion of the Avatars, that I’m working on is the long work that I’ve stayed with the longest so far. Because I’m ADD, it’s hard for me to stay focused on writing long fiction such as novels. Yet, I’ve always wanted to try my hand at writing a novel, so one NaNoWriMo, the nationwide novel writing challenge that occurs each November, I compromised with myself and so decided to write a novella. I never finished it. The rough draft that is. Then during the NaNoWriMo of that following year I tried writing another novella, Invasion of the Avatars, and that one I finished. About three months later. Then, so I could get a fresh reading of it, I set it aside for about six months and then took it back out to revise it. I only got about five pages into it before I got bored with the story and determined that I would not be able to stick with revising 80 to 100 pages. So I left it saved and shut it away on my flash drive for good. Or so I thought.

About a year or two later, last NaNoWriMo to be exact, I tried writing another novella. Like the first one, I didn’t finish it. I felt like the story wasn’t going anywhere or maybe going in too many directions beyond meaning. So I ditched that one, thinking, maybe I should try to resume writing my previous novella. Avatars had been shut away on the flash drive for at least a year since I first tried revising it. But I pulled it back out and decided to work on it again thinking that if by page five I still felt the same way about it as I had the first time, then I’ll just forget that story permanently. However, by the time I got through page five I wanted to do more. So I printed up five more pages and read over those making revisional comments. I was still enthused about the story during this second attempt at revision. So far I’ve revised 25 pages of Avatars.

Why the sudden change in attitude toward a novella that I thought I would never be able to stick with? I believe it was because I put it aside for a longer period of time than I did after I first wrote it. After that first attempt at revision, I put it aside for at least a year which was double the time span than that from when I had left it aside the first time. And so by this point I could get into the story more because it was like a brave new world to me. I had alienated the story from myself for a longer period. So when I tried reading it over the second time, it was almost as if I had never seen the draft before.

Stephen King says in his memoir, On Writing, that when you take out your manuscript after having kept it in a drawer for several weeks and “if it looks like an alien relic bought at a junk-shop or yard sale where you can hardly remember stopping, you’re ready” to revise it.* In other words, if you hardly recognise your story then you can revise it more objectively and so as if somebody else wrote it. So if you alienate your story from yourself long enough and then finally look at it and the story’s setting, situations and characters appear unfamiliar to you, then you are ready to revise because you will be more intrigued by it as if it was uncharted territory to explore.


How long do you set your first draft of a story aside before you start revising it? Does the story look as if it were written by someone else when you start revising?

Until next time . . .

*Stephen King, On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, Pocket Books 2001.



Comments

  1. Wish that worked on the first draft.
    I usually start edits within a week of reaching the end. Which works because by that time I have completely forgotten the beginning and it's all brand new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The faster you can forget the story, which is your case, the better. Normally I have to put mine aside for a month to get a fresh look at it! That's with short stories, which I mostly write. For novellas it's longer.

      Delete
  2. Love On Writing. It's my Bible.

    I used to go quite a while between finishing a book and revising, but with publisher deadlines, that isn't possible anymore. Sometimes I've taken long breaks from a book, and then it feels like someone else wrote it. It does give you a whole new appreciation for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing I like about On Writing is that it's not only a "how-to" or instructional but it's also King's autobiography (a.k.a. memoir) in relation to his writing career. That's what makes it so motivating.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least