Skip to main content

Sacramento Zine Fest


Most Saturday afternoons I’m usually recording my expenses in the cheque transaction booklet and cleaning house so that later in the day I can work on what I enjoy most: writing. But this Saturday I ditched the usual routine and took a bus out to the second annual Sacramento Zine Fest held held at the Verge Center for the Arts in downtown. My first experience with zines was when I picked up a couple free science fiction fanzines at my first full sci fi/fantasy convention, BayCon in San Jose, several years ago. Soon, I came across one called The National Fantasy Fan and purchased a membership that gave me as many as six issues a year. I even wrote a review of a Larry Niven book for one. That was one of my first published works. Ever since then, I’ve always been interested in the zine scene. Many famous speculative fiction writers started off writing for fantasy and science fiction fanzines--Harlan Ellison and William Gibson to name two. 



Two pages of a science fiction fanzine illustrating a giant man menacingly hunched over a metropolis.
Many fantasy and science fiction fanzines featured unknown authors who would become famous, such as this one by 'Superman' creator Jerry Siegel. It's issue number 3 of the 1933 fanzine, Science Fiction.
Credit: Wikimedia Commons

So what is a zine? Simply put, it was the thing in self-publishing before self-publishing went online. Zines are self-published magazines and books produced on low budgets and by small special interest (or niche) groups. They are normally what the big, traditional publishing houses won’t publish because they do’t fit their marketing agendas. Before self-publishing went online, many unknown writers and artists would publish cheaply, produced magazines called “zines”. Many of these were published by special interest clubs such as science fiction and fantasy fan groups, political interest groups, pop music clubs, and artists clubs.

But as much as internet has made it easier to publish higher quality products, zine publication still continues today online and off. Much of its survival is due to the interest in the print-based culture of the medium but also in its small community focus. It’s like print books and vinyl records today: there’s streaming music and e-books so why do we need vinyl or print? We need it because there is an experience and culture in the art that we don’t get through intangible, digital images and text.

Here are some of the highlights from the Sacramento Zine Fest:

A table that sold copies of mini zine books of art and short stories. One of these I bought for only two bucks (I told you they’re produced on very low budgets!): a mini booklet of “bad” short stories. However, as I told the author who was selling these, “bad” is relative. I read all of them on the bus going home and most of them are actually good at least as humour.

Fantasy Art.

Comic Books: from full length ones by Sacramento’s Eben Burgoon to pocket-size/quarter-folded ones by others.

Fandom arts and crafts such as ones of Mario Brothers characters and Hello Kitty.

A table displaying a sample of the Sacramento Public Library’s zine collection. The library subdivides this collection into locally produced zines that they shelve in their central branch’s Sacramento Room and a general collection for zines that were produced elsewhere and so are shelved elsewhere. 

I asked the library staff woman at the table if they accept fantasy and science fiction fanzines for donations and she said, delightedly, that they do and that they even have a Star Trek zine in their collection. I told her I might have some extra zines of the genre that I may want to donate. Today was the first time I heard about their zine collection. So, as I told her, I’ll have to stop by the library sometime and check it out!

A zine author’s 1920s Royal typewriter. She said it was still in working condition. It reminded me of Harlan Ellison’s collection of old typewriters. He wrote his stories using a manual one even into the age of PCs. This is a good thing if it makes the author work more comfortably.

Other zines and related stuff: political publications, transgendre publications and art, tattoo and punk zines and art.



Sure there’s internet that allows us to publish whatever we want in one form or another. But print zines are a culture within themselves which consists of subcultures within that in which fantasy, horror and science fiction fanzines are just a few of. Unlike Twitter and Facebook, they also tend to draw people to real time and space events such as Sacramento Zine Fest.

Do you or have you read or written for a zine?

Next time: Another Insecure Writer’s Support Group post which will be up a week from this Wednesday. So there may or may not be a post next Saturday.

Until next time . . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least