Skip to main content

Sinister Creature Con: Horror Authors and Other Related Things

A cartoon of a zombie holding his thumb out.
Credit: Pixabay.com


Sinister Creature Con is a biannual horror convention in Sacramento, California that caters to movie make-up artists. However, as with the show that occurred during the weekend of June 15th at the Scottish Rite Center, horror authors do show up as venders to present their work. Other items related to horror fiction are also featured, such as board games based on H.P. Lovecraft’s Cthulhu Mythos.

The Horror Authors


The horror fiction authors at June’s Sinister Creature Con included Nicholas Grabowsky, Derek Muk and Nicolas Walls. There may have been others, but I only had time to talk with those three. Grabowsky’s table consisted of both his own and other horror fiction writers’ works, many of which he has published through his Black Bed Sheet Books publishing house which is headquartered in nearby Antelope. One of his books is his 1989 novel, The Rag Man, which he said he is doing a re-write of for a new edition that he’s collaborating on with another author.

Black Bed Sheet is also the publisher of a novel, Demon Seeds, by the other guest author I met, Derek Muk. Copies of Demon Seeds, which is about monster hunters in Los Angeles, was on display and for sale at Muk’s table. He also had copies of his series of novels, The Occult Files of Albert Taylor. When I told him I was a self-published author, he asked if I thought self-publishing is still looked down on by many. I told him that it is but that it’s gotten more recognition than it did several years ago, especially since well-known genre writers’ organisations, such as the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, are accepting into membership authors who have mostly been self-published. I talk more about this in my latest IWSG post.

The other author presenting his work at the con was Nicolas Walls. One of his latest horror novels is The Butcher’s Tale which he says has elements of slasher and cyberpunk and so is a science fiction-horror story. He was very friendly. We had a good talk about self-publishing, particularly about the naming of businesses in the industry. I picked up the free swag he had there at his table. Or at least I thought all of it was free.

One of the items I picked up at Wall’s table was a sticker promoting his other novel, Primal Real Estate, a kind of political horror tale. I had been holding it for several minutes while we were talking when he finally pointed at it saying there was a small charge for it. I felt terrible over assuming that it was one of the free promo items and so, even though I didn’t plan on buying a copy of the novel at the time, I went ahead and purchased the sticker anyway. I thought the least I could do to make up for my mistake was support a fellow self-published author.

Horror Gaming


The Sinister Gaming Corner, which wasn’t so much in a corner as it was in the middle of the complex and so the courtyard, consisted of free horror game play. It featured a table of board games that were based on the Cthulhu Mythos from H. P. Lovecraft’s stories. One of those games was Eldritch Horror which I asked the game play attendant if it was an extended version of Arkham Horror, since the box looked very similar to it. He said it was made to balance out the simplicity of Arkham Horror and the complexity of a more advanced Mythos game (I don’t remember which one). That’s one board game I’d like to purchase and try out sometime. That is, sometime when I’ve mastered Arkham Horror the card game that I got two Christmases ago and only played twice since then, as fascinating as it is.

The Other Events and Activities

Other events and activities at Sinister Creature: a cosplay competition; a make-up challenge; screenings of 16 millimeter horror, sci fi and vintage films; celebrity panels by stars such as Sherilyn Fenn of Twin Peaks and Doug Bradley of Hellraiser; and panels by TV horror movie hosts. This last one consisted of two panels which I attended. One was by Joe Bob Briggs who’s most current show is The Last Drive-In (on Shudder), and another by Mr. Lobo (Cinema Insomnia) and Lord Blood Rah (Nerve Wrackin’ Theatre). Horror movie hosts and horror fiction authors are a lot alike in that they, to some extent at least, guide you through the story whether they tell it or comment on it. Look out for an upcoming full post about this comparison.


When Sinister Creature Con debuted several years ago, it seemed to be a place where horror fiction authors would be so easily overlooked by attendees. However, with as many as three horror fiction writers who showed at the last one, plus items of pop culture influenced by classic horror authors such as H.P. Lovecraft, it may be the perfect venue for a writer of dark fiction to present his or her work. Look for a table with me and my books at the next one in October!

Have you been or are you planning on going to any interesting sci fi or fantasy conventions this summer?

Until next time . . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least better, fi