Skip to main content

'Boo Brothers' Paperback Update; Bela Lugosi's Dracula Goes To Comics



I have the latest update for the upcoming release of the paperback edition of my book of YA horror, "The Boo Brothers", and a Lightning News Flash of a new Dracula graphic novel starring Bela Lugosi! “What?” you say. How can the long-dead actor of the famous Universal undead vampire play a role in a comic book? Read on to find out!

‘Boo Brothers’ Paperback

I had my manuscript for the paperback edition of "Boo Brothers", my book of two short YA horror stories, formatted and uploaded to Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) during the week. I also uploaded the cover and reviewed the book on the website with the online previewer that allows a person to see what his/her work would look like in its final product form. And mine all looks good. Now I just have to price it and then have Amazon approve it as meeting their guidelines. I can't say for sure right now, but I may just price it at a discount off the market price (which I have not decided on yet) as a special Halloween treat for you trick-or-readers! Also, I’m still planning a giveaway. So, keep checking back here and/or at my Facebook page for updates.


Bela Lugosi as Dracula in a hypnotic gaze.
Credit: Wikimedia Commons/Universal

Lightning News Flashes: Bela Lugosi Dracula Graphic Novel

Legendary Comics will be releasing a Dracula graphic novel, says The Hollywood Reporter. It will be entitled Bram Stoker's Dracula Starring Bela Lugosi. So how can a comic book star a movie actor especially one who has been dead several years? Do they bring him back as a vampire? Well, yes, in the case of this comic book at least. And they do so figuratively speaking, of course. The Reporter states that Legendary is partnering with the Lugosi Estate to publish this vampire graphic novel that will closely follow Bram Stoker's original story while depicting the title character based on Bela Lugosi's portrayal. In Universal's interpretation of the story, many constraints, especially in the sexual aspect of Dracula, were taken in adapting the novel to film. However, this comic book adaptation will tell the story according to the original novel while yet using Universal’s version of the title character.

This won't be the first time that Universal's Dracula character has been given his own comic book title. The last one was back in 1993 when Dark Horse came out with a series of comics featuring Universal's most popular monsters. Another instance was in 1962 when now obsolete Dell Comics came out with an adaptation of the Universal movie and based the story on the original novel much more loosely than Universal did. But Legendary’s comic will be the first to put Lugosi’s depiction of the character in a storyline line that closely follows Stoker’s novel.

Bram Stoker's Dracula Starring Bela Lugosi, unfortunately, does not have a planned release date until the Fall of next year. But the cover art, by El Garing who will do the illustrations for the comic, can be seen in The Hollywood Reporter's article on the subject and it looks super!


Next weekend is the third weekend of the month so tune in then for another Book-To-Movie review! [link] What do you think of a graphic novel that will tell the Dracula story as told by Bram Stoker's novel while depicting the title character as the actor who played it in the Universal movie? Feel free to leave your comments in the box below!

Until next time . . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least