Skip to main content

Read to Write!

Logo of the Insecure Writer's Support Group with a lighthouse in the background.


It’s time for another Insecure Writers Support Group (IWSG) post! Every first Wednesday of the month we writers bring our writing challenges and problems out into the open to share and try to come up with solutions and encouragement. In this IWSG post, I have my latest writing progress and an answer to the question of the month.

In the last couple weeks, I haven't  written a lot of new fiction. I've mostly been working on my weekly blog posts and as far as fiction goes I've mostly been doing editing and formatting. The formatting is really taking me out. I'm formatting my book of two short stories called "The Boo Brothers: Two Tales of Terror". I came out with the electronic version around this time last year. This year, I'm formatting for a paperback version that I'm planning to release for Halloween, though hopefully way before the 31st of the month. But I had to format it a second time because the files from the font that I used messed up. Then you get all the little technicalities of the process that you don't really understand how to deal with until you've made enough mistakes  to figure it out and do it correctly. That's valuable writing time. 

It just really annoys me because it seems like formatting shouldn't be so difficult. I mean I already have an e-version of the book on Amazon and so files to it that have been uploaded to Kindle Direct Publishing. So why can't there be a way to simply transfer them to a program for creating the paperback version? With so much advanced technology out there it seems like there'd be a tool to do that rather than having to start from scratch again. I personally believe KDP will come out with a tool that does this but it's just a matter of time when they do. They've advanced so much with their online tools already.

Now to answer the question of the week:

"It's been said that the benefits of becoming a writer who does not read is that all your ideas are new and original. Everything you do is an extension of yourself, instead of a mixture of you and another author. On the other hand, how can you expect other people to want your writing, if you don't enjoy reading? What are your thoughts?"

My answer to this is that the belief in a writer not needing to read is a new one to me. Almost all serious writers I know, have met or read about insist that in order to write good and professionally you need to read. I really believe that a good writer, not just a fly by night one, but a serious writer who regularly writes and publishes needs to read avidly and passionately. The best writers out there are ones who have a passion for reading. Now I can't say a lot for other genres' authors since my genre specialties are science fiction and horror. I do read other genres but I don't follow their writers' writing processes. But in science fiction and fantasy: Ray Bradbury lived, as he would put it, to read like he lived to write; Stephen King reads; Margaret Atwood reads; Neil Gaiman reads. So how can you be a serious and thriving writer if you don't read or don't have a passion in doing so? Normally people who are serious about writing for a living are such because they love reading.

So for me writing and reading go hand in hand. If you truly like to write and are serious about doing it full time or regularly and putting your stuff out for publication, then you will love reading other peoples' work.

Today’s IWSG is brought to you by these super co-hosts: Ronel Janse van Vuuren, Mary Aalgaard, Madeline Mora-Summonte, and Ellen @ The Cynical Sailor! IWSG was founded by awesome author Alex Cavanaugh, writer of the Cassa Series of novels! 

Until next time . . . 

A cartoon of a man walking into the open jaws of a crocodile.
Credit: Pixabay.com

Comments

  1. Sorry the formatting is so much trouble. I'd just pay someone else to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's been so many times when I've been ready to do that. Eventually it will probably come to that since I have a day job and don't have the time to mess with the technicalities of formatting at least as far as self-publishing goes.

      Delete
  2. I guess I'm one of the rare people who enjoys formatting books. I used to work in a print shop and it was one of my favourite parts of the job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with that of course. If you enjoy the formatting and are good at it that's great. I myself am just not very mechanically inclined and so don't catch onto formatting as easily.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least