Skip to main content

How My Writing Journey Began: From Humour To Sci Fi and Fantasy

This logo of the Insecure Writer's Support Group depicts a lighthouse in the background.


It’s time for another Insecure Writers Support Group (IWSG) post! Every first Wednesday of the month we writers bring our writing challenges and problems out into the open to share with each other and try to come up with solutions. This month has been an exception to the schedule because the first Wednesday was New Year’s Day and so many of us were still trying to get through the busy-ness of the holiday season. Speaking of that, I hope all of you had a good one. Mine was fantastic!

The IWSG question of the month:  What started you on your writing journey? Was it a particular book, movie, story, or series? Was it a teacher/coach/spouse/friend/parent? Did you just "know" suddenly you wanted to write?

I would have to say my writing journey started in the 5th grade. I really got into the creative writing assignments our teacher would give us. I particularly loved writing comical stories which the class laughed over and applauded after each one was read. By the 6th grade I had gotten into writing sci fi and fantasy. During that time I was crazy for movies in those genres as well as ones in action/adventure and mystery. I was really fascinated by “Raiders of the Lost Ark” and the stories behind the making of it, including George Lucas and Stephen Spielberg’s directorial career stories. I wanted to make films like they did but didn’t have the resources for making home movies. So I wrote knock-off stories of Lucas and Spielberg’s flicks.

When I got into intermediate school, I was through with writing on my own time. Writing prose came across as too academically nerdy to me and so I put my creative energy instead into drawing scenes of monsters, aliens and warriors.

Two years later, I saw Back to the Future when it released in the summer of 1985. The character of George McFly as a science fiction writer made me realise that writing in that genre was not academically nerdy but artistically nerdy just like drawing and painting aliens and deadly robots was. My Trekkie phase that I went through at that same time included reading about the people who wrote the “Star Trek” TV series, movies and books. So, when I reached my freshman year of high school that fall semestre, the inner fire of creative storytelling came back to me and so I returned to writing sci fi and fantasy and never stopped since.

What inspired you to be the writer you are today?

Today’s IWSG is brought to you by these super co-hosts: T. Powell Coltrin, Victoria Marie Lees, Stephen Tremp, Renee Scattergood, and J.H. Moncrieff! IWSG was founded by awesome author Alex Cavanaugh, writer of the Cassa Series of novels!

Until next time . . .

Comments

  1. I followed along the same path although several years earlier. Seeing Star Wars in the theater when I was twelve sparked something and then the series Battlestar Galactica really started my writing journey. I was already hooked on the old Star Trek series and Terry Brooks' Shannara series further fueled the writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the original, Glenn Larson Battle Star Galactica series.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Andromeda Strain’

Credit: Pixabay.com To find out how you can read this post without ads, visit my Patreon page !   It’s time for our monthly Book-To-Movie ! For those of you who are just tuning into this blog, a Book-To-Movie is when we review a work of prose fiction and its movie adaptation. Today we are reviewing another book and film relevant to today’s pandemic: Michael Crichton’s novel, “The Andromeda Strain” and its 1971 movie adaptation. Crichton  is the writer of suspenseful science fiction, what would commonly be called today, science fiction thriller. “The Andromeda Strain” is exactly that. However, as good as this novel is, the suspense in the movie adaptation plays out better.  The Book In “The Andromeda Strain”, published in 1969, a NASA satellite returns to Earth carrying an alien virus. It lands in a small Arizona town by the name of Piedmont where the virus infects and kills everyone except an old man and an infant. A team of four scientists go to a top secret lab in Nevad...

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Lawnmower Man’

Credit: Pixabay Warning: This review may contain spoilers. In past Book-To-Movies, we’ve reviewed several movie adaptations of books and short stories by famous science fiction and horror authors. All those films have stuck to the plot of the original work to at least some recognizable degree. But this week’s Book-To-Movie will be the first to review a film that does a poor job of staying faithful to the original plot. The film is 1992’s “The Lawnmower Man” which is based on Stephen King’s short story of the same name. Even so, the movie is a really good one. So then what’s the problem? The problem is that it’s hardly an adaptation and so more its own story simply with the title of King’s short work slapped onto it.  ‘The Lawnmower Man’: The Short Story Stephen King’s “The Lawnmower Man” originally appeared in “Cavalier” magazine in 1975 and was then collected into his book of short fiction, “Night Shift” the following year. The story’s protagonist is a middle-aged husband and dad ...

Book-To-Movie: ‘Journey to the Center of the Earth’

Both the 1959 and the 2008 movies based on Jules Verne's novel, "Journey to the Center of the Earth", feature terrifying monsters such as the ones here in this illustration from an early edition of the book. Credit: Ã‰douard Riou/ Wikimedia Commons   Warning: This review may contain spoilers. As I said last post , I’ve postponed the month’s Book-To-Movie review from last week to this week. For those of you who are just tuning into this blog, a Book-To-Movie is when we review a work of prose fiction and its movie adaptation. And this weekend’s review is of Jules Verne’s novel, “Journey to the Center of the Earth” and its movie adaptations. There have been several movies based on this novel that was originally published in Paris in 1864 (as “Voyage au Centre de la Terre”). However, most of them have been either made for TV or video. Because I believe movies are best when made for the big screen, I am going to review the theatrical films in which there have been two: the 195...