Skip to main content

‘Color Out of Space’ Coming to DVD/Blu-ray Sooner Than You Think

A swirling purple space cloud.
Credit: Pixabay.com


As you may know from an earlier post, I have been ready for Richard Stanley’s movie “Color Out of Space” for over two months. I was checking Fandango since Wednesday to see the showtimes for this movie adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft’s short story, which goes by the slightly longer title of “The Colour Out of Space”, for my area. Well, it was only showing at two theaters here in Sacramento in which both only had evening showings and were too far for me to drive especially that late on a Wednesday (two days before the official release date). After Wednesday, it played nowhere in the Sacramento area. By then, the theatre that it was playing at closest to my area was in Berkeley which is about an hour away by car and an hour and a half by train. I don’t drive long distance and I wasn’t about to head out on a train for a movie that doesn’t even run two hours long. So “Color Out of Space” is one of those movies that play only in select areas and so may not be coming to a theatre near you.

But if you’re a Lovecraft lover like me, don’t be too upset. “Color” is one of those few movies coming to DVD and Blu-ray early. It’s coming to these two formats February 25 of this year of 2020! Yes, only a month from now. And I imagine it will be coming to streaming video about the same time. I tried checking the internet to see when that might happen but couldn’t find anything. But there’s almost no way it won’t come to streaming video since that’s the big thing in movie distribution today. In some cases, too big.

DVDs and Blu-ray discs have become like print books and vinyl records. There are people, including yours truly, who like to have physical copies to put on their shelves. But streaming video like other media formats before it, such as DVD with VHS, is pushing out DVD and Blu-ray. Yet, it doesn’t stream everything.

There’s a limit on what streaming video services such as Netflix and Hulu will stream. They too many times exclude indie, foreign, art house and old films because those films “don’t sell”. “Netflix and Hulu aren’t willing to sign expensive contracts for films that will go unwatched,” says Andrew Heinzman at Reviewgeek.com. And “Color Out of Space” is an indie film one which will be “old” very soon by today’s high-tech standards. Also, not every streaming video service will play the same movies, regardless of how new those movies may be.

Neither can everyone afford or even wants to pay for a subscription with every single streaming service that’s out there. But with less alternatives for viewing movies, the streaming services make more money because the people who can afford the subscriptions will flee to them for what they want and can’t find elsewhere.

So, it’s ironic that it hasn’t yet, as of this writing, been announced when “Color Out of Space” will come to streaming video. Therefore, if you depend on the streaming services to watch your movies, don’t fear too much. “Color” probably won’t get overlooked. Which streaming service or services will offer the movie and how long for is a different story. If you, like myself, don’t like depending on streaming services for your movies and you purchase “Color” when it comes out on DVD and Blu-ray then save your copy. With streaming video companies’ agenda to sell only what’s new and popular, the movie may go obsolete with the very disc it’s on.

Has “Color Out of Space” come to your area? Have you seen it? If so, what did you think? No spoilers please. 

Until next time . . .

Comments

  1. What a shame it didn't get wide release. I was also looking forward to it. Even The Curse (also loosely based on the story) got wide release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Curse, I didn't know it was based on "Colour" in any kind of way. I know there was a Vincent Price one also loosely based on it but not about that one. (Me and my Vincent Price talk again! Lol)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least