Skip to main content

Horror Fiction Can Prepare a Person for a Pandemic, University Study Shows

Several broken cables hang in front of a novelty sign for a "zombie research facility".
Credit: Pixabay



I hope everyone had a groovy Independence Day. Now that the neighbours’ cherry bomb firecracker blasting has toned down a bit, I can concentrate on other disasters. That is, disasters such as my current fiction projects that I’ve been working on and trying to get in order. More on that in a bit. Right now, I’d like to go over something a little more relevant to the challenging times the world has been going through. If you’ve ever wondered if reading, writing or watching horror is really some hedonistic waste of time, you can take comfort in a scientific study to back up your reasons for loving the genre. This new study has shown that horror fiction can help people mentally prepare for a pandemic such as the one we’ve been going through. Or, at least it can do this with horror fans.


The Study

The study was done by experts from the University of Chicago, Pennsylvania State University, and Aarhus University. It concluded that fans of horror fiction are more psychologically prepared for and more enduring of a crisis such as the present pandemic than people who are not fans of the genre. The study says that even though the event of a horror story, such as a zombie apocalypse, is not likely to occur “it may be analogous to situations that would occur in real-life events that are more likely to occur.” It goes on to explain that the chaos that comes up in many zombie movies and books is like the chaos that real-life natural disasters can result in. And so the study explains how horror fiction can serve as simulation for a real-life, social-impacting crisis like a pandemic, better preparing fans of the genre for it. Therefore, when the crisis does come the shock and trauma won’t be as intense.

The study makes a similar point about highly morbidly curious persons (people who are inclined to learning about dangerous and threatening situations). It discovered that around the beginning of the pandemic these kinds of people watched films involving similar events more than people with a lower morbid curiosity.

I can see in myself as both a fan and writer of horror how true it is what this study is showing. Ever since this pandemic started and my area had to shelter in place, I’ve almost felt like I’ve not had to do much more than what I’ve already been doing: I was already watching, reading and writing disasters in horror fiction and so I only had to live the one we’re in now. At the beginning of the Covid-19 outbreak I didn’t watch any pandemic horror or sci fi films but I did order a copy of “The Andromeda Strain” by Michael Crichton from Half Price Books and read it all the way through. I even recommended a list of apocalyptic fiction around that same time here at the blog. And throughout this time of plague I’ve frequently, in a sense, asked myself what would Robert Neville from “I Am Legend” do? Often, in my mind’s vision the question has specifically been “What would Vincent Price Do?” since his version of Richard Matheson’s novel is my favourite of the movie adaptations. No wonder why I’ve never felt a need to purchase a copy of Max Brooks’ “The Zombie Survival Guide”.

Revising My Current Short Story

One of the stories I’ve been working on is one that I resumed revising about a week ago. I had given myself a break from it way before the Covid-19 outbreak because, like the outbreak, the story has been a disaster. I’m not talking about the disaster that occurs in the story which involves a mysterious missile bombing. I’m talking about the story itself being a disaster—to my head. I had been trying to write it outside its chronological order because of the trauma of the situation it involves and the strange obsession that the protagonist has that mentally distances him from the bombings. And since it deals with parallel universes it’s complicated to write and organize to begin with. So, writing it in the achronological sequence I had been was making me go nuts, it seemed, and so I had to put it in chronological order so I could understand what the hell I was trying to make the story say. Now I have to fill in some gaps (connect scene A to scene B) and rewrite the ending which will have been at least the second rewrite of that part.


Speaking about pandemics, because the libraries in my area are slow to opening back up and have limited hours, I’m going to have to postpone next week’s Book-To-Movie to the week after like I did last month. I’m currently reading an Isaac Asimov novella and so put a DVD of the adaptation to it on hold at one of the libraries in my area. I was going to drive out to the library and pick it up today but it’s just been too damn hot to be driving 10 miles out from where I live and that’s the closest library to me that carries it. So I’ll have to get and watch it during the week sometime but probably won’t have time to do a review of it for the next post. I’ll have something else for you here next week, I just don’t know what yet.

Are you a reader or watcher of horror or disaster fiction? If so, do you feel you’ve coped with the pandemic better than most people?

Until next time . . .

Comments

  1. Sorry your own work is a bit of a disaster.
    I don't read horror but I do watch a lot of horror movies. I guess that's why the current crisis hasn't phased me too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right. The study actually did emphasise fans who watch movies in the genre because film is so widely popular of a medium, but it can be applied to almost all media in the genre. The disaster about my current fiction that I'm working on is mostly metaphorical and, so, exaggerated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, interesting study. Nice to hear something good about horror for a change. I do read and watch it, but I watch a lot more horror than I read. The "horror" I prefer to read is real-life stuff, like the current book I'm reading about the Jonestown tragedy.

    Hope everything works out with your book! That sounds like a pain.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least