Skip to main content

IWSG: Freedom Writers, Freedom Publishers

The logo to the Insecure Writer's Support Group depicts a lighthouse in the background.


It’s the first Wednesday of the month and so it’s time for another Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) post! In an IWSG post, we writers bring our writing challenges and problems out into the open to share with each other and try to offer solutions. What does the Fourth of July and self-publishing have to do with each other? Freedom. Read on to see how!


Changes In the Book Industry
I’d like to start off answering the IWSG question of the month which is: There have been many industry changes in the last decade, so what are some changes you would like to see happen in the next decade? One of the many changes in the last decade have been the publishing of more minority fiction, especially in the speculative genres. This has made me very proud since I come from a Hispanic background although I’m nowhere near exemplary of this change like award-winning minority authors such as N.K. Jemison and Wesley Chu. But the success of writers such as they shows that it is not impossible for a minority to publish at the award-winning level.

Another change in the last decade has been more indie and self-published authors getting recognition. Like the Declaration of Independence has been the gateway to freedom of the U.S. colonies from imperial England, the internet has been the gateway to freedom from traditional, big business publishers like Penguin. This has particularly been the case for unknown and aspiring writers who can now publish their work on their own without having to spend big loads of money many of them don’t have or to connect with important people in the industry.

However, while self-publishing has brought more freedom for aspiring authors to make known their work to the world, it’s also brought freedom to publish more junk, junk that avid readers too often have to weed through to find work worth reading. So, I would like to see more critical praise of self-published authors who come out with high quality work. The more critical praise they get, the less that readers will have to grope their way through the literary wasteland of self-published books.

Status of My Writing Projects
I talked about my novella last IWSG. I said that I was using a story map to keep better track of the scenes and elements in my novella because it’s a size of fiction that I don’t often work with. Before that, I had made a new deadline schedule. The map helped me to see what can be taken out of the story. The deadline schedule? So far, I’ve only met one deadline for a specific number of pages. The other deadlines I’ve been missing and have had to constantly reset. I’m to the point of just throwing the schedule aside and saying that the deadline is whenever the story gets done. Maybe I’ll just have to move the final due date (for the whole story) to later. Currently the final due date (for finishing revisions) is January 2021.


What changes would you like to see in the book/literary industry? What are you working on?

Today’s IWSG is brought to you by these super co-hosts: Jenni Enzor, Beth Camp, Liesbet @ Roaming About, Tyrean Martinson, and Sandra Cox! IWSG was founded by awesome author Alex Cavanaugh, writer of the Cassa Series of novels!

Everyone have a Happy and Safe Fourth of July!

The American Revolution Bicentennial Star of 1976.
Credit: Wikimedia Commons


Until next time . . .

Comments

  1. More reviewers for self-published and small press books would be nice.
    Writing is a challenge for many right now, so maybe removing the pressure of a schedule would help you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it's hard for the cream to rise in the self-publishing arena. I attribute this partly to a skewed playing field by way of access to affordable advertising and review platforms. Thanks for sharing! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes consider affordable advertising though I prefer word-of-mouth. You have a great weekend too, Dixie!

      Delete
  3. It's strange to me that I love watching anything that looks even remotely interesting on Netflix or Prime. I love stories and I love getting lost in them. But I have a really hard time picking up unknown books, and I rarely come across Indie books when I'm browsing. TV platforms are constantly throwing foreign and indie works my way. Perhaps if they did the same for books I would get to read more. I guess it is the difference in wasting an hour to see if a film was worth it, versus a few days to determine if the book was any good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how that's so, because most of us have to put more time into reading a book than we do watching a movie.

      Delete
  4. While deadlines work in certain cases (for me when I'm writing or editing for others), it's so much harder to stick to for oneself. In general, I didn't care too much about this with my travel memoir, but after almost five years of working on it whenever I wasn't roaming about (which is, generally, full-time), it's time to get it done. You might get to a point like this as well, or feel more happy and relieved just sticking to the word goal and leave the deadline vague. whatever works! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I had gotten to that point! lol So that's why I set up the deadline schedule that I did because I had started the novella three or four years ago (although I had put the first draft aside for about a year). I was doing a combination of deadlines and page(s) per day. Maybe I'll just do pages/word-count per day instead and, as you said, keep the deadline vague. Something I'll have to consider. Thanks!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least better, fi