Skip to main content

Martin Luther King, Nichelle Nichols and ‘Star Trek’

 

A spaceship flies through space.
Credit: Pixabay

A new year brings new hope and Martin Luther King Jr. was definitely a man of hope and a new vision, especially with his “I Have a Dream” speech. I did a post on King several years back and on how his vision of a better future for all races served a function similar to that of science fiction. I said that this was one of the few things about him that connected with the genre. I underestimated. He had another big connection with science fiction. I’ll show you what that was in a little bit. Also coming up in this post: news about my newsletter in progress and an upcoming “Frankenstein” movie. 


Martin Luther King Was a Fan of a Very Famous Science Fiction TV Series 

In the post on Martin Luther King that I mentioned above, I said that he did not have many connections to science fiction except for his vision of a progressive future. However, I only found out yesterday while reading over an article at MentalFloss.com that he was a regular watcher of the original “Star Trek” TV series. He believed in the socially progressive vision of the show. He was also a fan of Nichelle Nichols who played Lt. Uhura in the series.  

The show was set in a future where Earth has accepted all races and genders as equal. Uhura was a black woman in a significantly ranking career and played by a person whose race has had a history of racial inequality and oppression. So, to King, Nichols was a role model to the black community, a role model that showed anything was achievable regardless of race. King had even met Nichols who discussed the show with him telling him that she was leaving it to perform on Broadway. However, King encouraged her to stay with the series because of the positive role model she portrayed to the black community. That role model was one of progress to a people who had always been downgraded and demeaned by the white majority. In this way, she was a key player in the progress of civil rights even though she wasn’t an activist. She told King she would like to march with him but he told her she was already doing that simply by portraying a role in “Star Trek” that represented what the civil rights movement was fighting for. And that’s so true. There have been so many more lead roles filled by people of colour in film, television and real life now than there ever has. 


“Star Trek” has been a vision for social and racial progress as much as it has for scientific and technological progress. In general, good science fiction does this. However, “Star Trek” was one of the first sci fi TV series to do that and the franchise continues doing it through this day. 


Lightning News Flashes

Author’s Newsletter: For a long time I had been debating whether to publish an ongoing newsletter and beginning back in December I finally decided to do it. I was hoping to release it by the end of last month but there were several implications with it that I had to take care of. But what better time to release a newsletter than the beginning of a new year! So, I’m aiming to release it by the end of this month. I just need to make a logo for it and get together content for the first issue. 

I’ve named the newsletter “Night Creatures’ Call”. In it I’ll talk about my latest projects, upcoming topics for A Far Out Fantastic Site, updates on my Patreon page, and what I do between these activities (my personal life, in other words). I’ll probably have a calendar of events, as well, like any good newsletter should. Also, so you won’t have to make a cyber trip here each week, I’ll have links to the blog post from the past month. You might also see topics not discussed here as much such as movies not adapted from books, TV, comics and genre-related collectibles. If you’re interested in subscribing, you can sign up here

Want a sneak peak at the newsletter logo when it comes out? How about the concept art for it and so the logo in progress? You can have these by joining my Patreon page with a Portal (tier) 3 membership! 

Shudder Releases Trailer For New “Frankenstein” Movie: Earlier in the week, Shudder released the trailer for a new “Frankenstein” movie that it will be streaming beginning February 4: “A Nightmare Wakes”. It’s actually a biography of Mary Shelley that is told around her “Frankenstein” story and so is part bio pic and part horror. 


Next weekend I’ll have another Book-To-Movie for you. Do you think “Star Trek”, the original series and/or spinoffs, has demonstrated a call for social progress? 

Until next time . . .


Comments

  1. I think Roddenberry and King shared a vision of a world where people were all just people and there was unity. Think of the diversity on the first series alone.
    Glad you got the newsletter worked out. Never bothered with one for myself, just the IWSG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the IWSG serves well as a newsletter since it connects a lot of people and sends out a lot of author news among many other things.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least