Skip to main content

IWSG: What 'Abandoning' the First Draft Can Do For You

Logo for the Insecure Writer's Support Group with a lighthouse in the background.


 It’s the first Wednesday of the month and so it’s time for another Insecure Writers Support Group (IWSG) post! In an IWSG post, we writers bring our writing challenges and problems out into the open to share with each other and try to offer solutions.


IWSG Question of the Month

The IWSG question for this month is: "For how long do you shelve your first draft before reading it and re-drafting? Is this dependent on your writing experience and the number of stories/books under your belt?" 

I don't have a precise amount of time that I shelve, or in my case file, the first draft to a story that I write. However, when I file a draft in a folder that I keep first drafts of fiction in, the time that it sits in there often averages from four to six months. I've set up my own rule to let a first draft sit in my filing cabinet for at least two weeks if it's a short story. If it's a longer work, which I seldom write, I'll let it sit for longer, at least about two months. Regardless of word-count, the longer I let a first draft sit "locked" away like buried treasure the better. That's because it estranges itself from me and so when I finally take it out to read and re-draft it I'll have a more objective view of it. So I try to "abandon" and forget about it for as long as possible. 

When I'm ready to redraft a new or newer story, I'll take out the folder of first drafts, and go to the newest story. I'll glance over the first page and if it reads like if it were written by someone other than myself, then I'll start reading and redrafting it. It won't totally look estranged or unfamiliar. Most of us know our own writing style and mannerisms so well that even at the first draft level we can recognise it after having ignored for several weeks. However, if the first draft of a story of mine looks in the slightest like it could have been written by someone else, I know it's time to start revising. Steven King says in his memoir, "On Writing", that “if it looks like an alien relic bought at a junk-shop or yard sale where you can hardly remember stopping, you’re ready” to revise it.

 Is letting my first draft sit for so long dependent on the number of stories under my belt? It depends on what project I'm writing the story for and the deadline I set for it. A lot of times when I write the first draft to a story I don't have a deadline for a book project set up yet. So, I guess you can say setting the first draft aside isn't dependent in that case. However, the current draft of a story that I just started writing a couple days ago may have to sit in the filing cabinet for only two or three weeks instead of four to six months. It's one that I'm writing it for my upcoming short story collection that I'm planning to release toward the end of summer.  


So, again, my rule of thumb is that I leave a first draft to sit out of view for at least two weeks even though it will often end up sitting for four to six months. But the longer it sits, the more objective of a view I have of it when I revise it. So, how long do you let your first story draft sit before reading and re-drafting it?

This month's IWSG is brought to you by these super co-hosts: J Lenni Dorner, Sarah Foster, Natalie Aguirre, Lee Lowery, and Rachna Chhabria! IWSG was founded by awesome author Alex Cavanaugh, writer of the Cassa Series of novels! 


Until next time . . .


Comments

  1. Well, even though I don't let mine sit for long, it does look alien to me when I start revising. Thank you, Stephen King.
    Is there a theme to your short story collection?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least