Skip to main content

Insecure Writers’ Support Group: Writing Around a Day Job

The Insecure Writer's Support Group logo consisting of a lighthouse in the background.

 

It’s the first Wednesday of the month and so it’s time for another Insecure Writers Support Group (IWSG) post! In an IWSG post, we writers bring our writing challenges and problems out into the open to share with each other and try to offer solutions.


Making Time to Write When Working a Day Job

After four months, I finally returned to the work place of my day job yesterday! I had been teleworking part of the time during those four months and the rest of the time I was either in the hospital or recovering at home. It was so good to get back to my place of employment and see the familiar faces that I had missed during my time off. 

But with a day job comes less writing time. Generally, “day job” is defined by us artists and writers as a job unrelated to our creative and artistic work. When I was teleworking I was doing so on a limited schedule and so had more time to write, but since I’ve returned to my workplace and regular schedule I have less time. So, I have to be very thorough about using my writing time, especially on the week days. 

I can’t really say, however, that my day job is such as I defined it above. I work in a library and so deal with reading materials but they are, more or less, technical reading materials. The job also involves some writing tasks but they’re also technical in nature. Still, some interesting things happen at my library technician job but if I could write full-time I would do it. I don’t do it because it doesn’t pay the bills. So, I have to write around my day job. 

How do I write around my day job? One way is by using wait time after work. Wait time, for me, is time such as the hour’s window period between the end of my shift and when my train arrives. I’ll use that period to work on any writing related- activity in the work place’s cafeteria. Much of this work is limited to paper, pen and my smart phone. I don’t bring my laptop to my day job because of the long commute and so I can’t be lugging that computer around along with a backpack on the bus and train everywhere I go. Another way is when I’m on the public transportation. It’s too hard and awkward for me to write on a bus or city train but I’ll take care of any social media marketing or researching of sources on my smart phone.

Even though working around my day job in the above ways helps, returning to my place of employment will still likely slow me down in my writing projects. These include my upcoming short story collection which I had already gotten behind in during my stay in the hospital. I had said a while back that I’m aiming for an August release but now it may have to be September at the earliest. 

On top of that project, I have the author’s newsletter that I had intended to put out every month. However, until now, I had to put it on hold for four months because I had gotten ill. Then I have my weekly blogging to do. Still, I’m aiming to put out that super short fiction collection within the next three months and to get a newsletter out each month even if an issue has to be skimpy now and then which I apologise for in advance. If you haven’t signed up for my author newsletter then you can do so here.


IWSG Question of the Month

The July optional question for IWSG is: What would make you quit writing? My answer: if a loved one’s life depended on me quitting. But I do pray that things won’t go to that extreme. 


That’s all for this month’s IWSG. What would make you quit writing? If you have a day job, how do you write around it? If not, then how do you write around your daily life duties (e.g. cooking dinner; cleaning house; mowing the lawn) or “life” as many of us call it? Please feel free to leave your answers or any other comments in the box below.

Today’s IWSG is brought to you by these super co-hosts: Pat Garcia, Victoria Marie Lees, Chemist Ken, and Louise – Fundy Blue! IWSG was founded by awesome author Alex Cavanaugh, writer of the Cassa Series of novels! 

Until next time . . . 




Comments

  1. Back full time just means you have to be creative in finding writing time. Don't blame you for not lugging around the laptop though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly, we have to be creative with finding and organising the writing time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dream of not needing a day job! I love that you work at a library, though. I would probably love that, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The content of the books that I work with isn't that interesting, but I like organising and circulating them to the people who need access to them.

      Delete
  4. I don't have a day job - I'm a senior. Ha-ha! But I do sometimes have something different to write, not my fiction. I'm a freelance reporter for a local newspaper, and once or twice a month, I have to write an article for them, which always takes precedence, as I always have a deadline and have to deliver by it. On the other hand, my journalistic experience enriches and invigorates my fiction. I write about art and artists, and all the artists I've ever met are amazingly interesting people. So many stories there, in my interviews with the artists. I would've been so much less, as a writer and a person, if I didn't have this little newspaper gig.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My day job fuels my creative well. I teach kindergarten. At present I'm on vacation because COVID has closed all the schools for now. I commute over 2 hours a day, and I use this time to listen to podcasts and practice my dictation writing skills. Time away from the page gives me extra appreciation for when I have access to a blank page for my words.

    I'm glad you've recovered and are keeping the words flowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Quenntis! Yes, podcasts and audiobooks are Z great way to occupy the time on a long commute.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least